Possessed - Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

“How?”

“You could ask me a specific question, one that won’t raise suspicion when asked, and I can give a certain answer. Like you ask me if I’m okay and I’ll reply word for word, ‘I’m okay, just…” Just what?

“Just worried about Dante,” Spencer said. ”Zara doesn’t seem to like Dante.”

I frowned. People usually loved Dante. He had one of those personalities that you just fell in love with. He could say the most crude and offensive things and you’d just laugh because it was him saying them. “Why?”

“He’s your friend and to Zara he’s coming between us, I suppose. He didn’t want me to leave with you…her yesterdayand Zara didn’t like that. I had to get her out of there quickly in case she tried hurting him too.”

My blood ran cold. “You think she wants to hurt him?”

“She won’t. I promise you she won’t hurt you or anyone you care about.”

How could he promise me that? He couldn’t control herand it was clear she didn’t want to go anywhere. Spencer couldn’t protect me, Dante and himself from her. If anything happened to Dante I would never forgive myself.

“I need you to do something for me,” I asked.

“Anything.”

“Lie to Dante. When and if he gets Peter to try again, change the time with Peter and don’t tell Dante. I don’t want him anywhere near when it happens again. She doesn’t like himand that terrifies me. What if she does something to him?”

“Shh,’ he murmured against my head as he held me tight and kissed my hair. “I’ll do it, Devon. Whatever you need I’ll do.”

“Good because I don’t want you there either.”

He snorted. “That’s not going to happen. Dante I’ll keep away for youbut I’m not going anywhere.”

I sat up despite him trying to hold me in place. “You said you’d do anythingand I don’t want you getting hurt either.” My eyes filled with tears. I felt horrible. “This is happening to me. You don’t need to be there.”

“And it’s happening because of me. If you honestly think I’ll ever agree to leaving you to it you clearly don’t know me very well.” He stood up and walked out of the room. I hated hurting and offending him but what else could I do?

“Spencer, don’t leave.” He stopped, his back and shoulders tensed. “I’m sorry I just don’t want you getting hurt either. What if something really bad happens?”

“What about you?” he asked, turning round. His eyes were dark. “Do you not care about your own life even a little bit?”

“Yes but not as much as the people I love.”

His eyes scrunched closed. “Don’t,” he whispered.

Don’t? Most people loved hearing that. “Why?”

“Because you don’t know if it’s real. I can’t hear that for you to take it back when this is all over.”

“I won’t be taking it back later.”

He forced a fake smile. “We’ll see. Did you want to do anything today before…” Before he locked me up. “Whatever you want I’ll make happen.”

“I would love to but don’t you think we should just do it in case Zara comes back? I don’t want to miss the chance to have her locked up where she can’t hurt anyone.” He walked back over to the sofa, frowning. “It’s okay. I understand why it has to be this way.”

I thought he was going to say something, agree or argue but his lips sealed over mineand he kissed me as if it was his last opportunity. My toes curled as I sunk into the kiss, disappearing into his chest. I did love himand nothing was going to change that. What I felt was real. Wrapping my arms around his neck, I pressed my body to his hard, needing to be as close as physically possible. One day with him would be perfectbut I couldn’t have it. Zara could pop back and shove me out at any time.

“Take me to this panic room then. After you’ve cooked me some of these pancakes your brother told me about,” I whispered breathlessly as we pulled apart.

He nodded and kissed my lips once more. “I love you, Devon.”

My heart swelled. “Why do you get to say it?”

“Because I’m sure.” So am I. I wanted to arguebut and make him believe me but I knew it was useless and I couldn’t blame him for feeling that way. I would question it if it were the other way around. He frowned. “How are you feeling?”

I smiled. Did he think I was Zara? “I’m fine. Just worried about Dante. It’s still me, Spencer.”

“Good ‘cause I don’t want to make my speciality for her.” I watched him as he walked into the kitchen. I do love him. It was unlike anything I’d ever felt before. Completely unexplainable. No word was strong enough to describe what I felt for him, but I loved him and I hoped Peter could make Zara go away because it killed me to know he didn’t believe me.

“It’s a long way,” I said, giving Spencer’s hand a squeeze. We’d decided to walk to Spencer’s parents’ house to give us just a little more time.

                  He smirked. “I did tell you.”

“Yes then you agreed because we’d get to spend more time together.”

“I know, I’m not complaining, baby. How’re you feeling anyway?”

This again. He’d asked it a lotbut I guess it was important to know when I wasn’t me. “I’m fine, just worried about Dante.”

He grinned and leant down giving me a chaste kiss. I wanted morebut we were in the middle of the street. I was almost home. I could see my street ahead and just wanted to curl up in my bed and pretend this wasn’t happeningbut I wanted Zara out of our lives more.

She squeezed Spencer’s hand, loving how well it fit hers. They were walking somewherebut she wasn’t sure where. Not that it mattered, they were together and doing something normal. “Not much further now,” she said, hoping he’d answer her subtle question.

“Hmm, about another twenty minutes.” His hand left hersand she suddenly felt very cold. She was about to protest when his arm snaked around her waist, holding her close. Well they couldn’t be going to Devon’s house, which was about thirty seconds away, not twenty. The only place she knew that was that far away was Spencer’s parents’. Why would they be going there?

She frowned. He wouldn’t take her there the first day they were together so what was going on? What had Devon said? She wished she knew, that she could have found her way back soonerbut the internal battle for the body and reality was harder than she once thought. Devon, although completely unaware, was fighting hard.

Something was going on. She had gotten to him somehow. “Spencer, can we just stop off at mine? I’d quite like to grab a few more clothes since it’s on the way to your parents.”

“Sure,” he said, leading her down the street towards her flat. So they were going to his parents, but for what exactly? What was there? Or who? “I have your key. Dante gave it to me.”

“Oh good.”

Spencer held her hand the entire time, only letting go to let them both into Devon’s flat. He walked in ahead of her, looking around. “Grab whatever you need. Want a hand with anything?”

“No thank you,” she replied.

He was definitely up to something, they all probably were. All in it together to try and get rid of her – the one that could make Spencer truly happy. She swallowed the pain and betrayal. He wasn’t getting away. There was no time for normality. It was now or never. She closed the door and very slowly turned to face him.