My eyes flew open again. "What?"

Leon smiled tightly at me. "I told her the same night we came home from Vegas. She wasn't too mad, but she's known for months. You didn't ruin us."

My eyes fell shut again and I exhaled I breath that felt like I just let go of a huge burden. Guilt? "How's the girl? She safe?"

Leon didn't mind my rapid subject change. He knew I was no good with feelings. "She's safe, thanks to you. She came running out and crying my name. I'm guessing you told her to come look for me," He noted whereafter I tiredly nodded. "Then once her safety was ensured, the SWAT teamed moved in and took over. We found you painting the concrete red in the hallway while Vahlov was chained up like a dog with his mouth gagged. Also you, I'm presuming." I didn't bother nodding this time as Leon continued. "Then it was just a matter of rounding up as many of the men you had graciously left alive for us, and take them into custody. Some of them talked and told us what went down, what the whole plan had been." Leon paused and raised a brow at me. "All of this for a woman, Russ. Jesus."

I closed my eyes and cursed silently in my head. Fucking great. Now he was going to bash me on that.

"Speaking of which, she's here."

My eyes flew open. He didn't bash at all. Maybe he was saving it for later when my cheeks were nice and pink again and my scrapes were less obvious. Then he'd attack me for sure, I was positive.

But Amy was here. Alive and well, I assumed. Not harmed, not even a little. No danger around her.

"She's been asking if she can see you."

"Only family is allowed to visit," I curtly replied back. I didn't feel like talking to her about all this. From the look on Leon's face, he had probably told her all about everything. I could deal without having her cooing over how I had 'fallen in love with her'. Dear lord.

"Exactly," Leon replied and straightened out. "Good thing she is your fiancée, then."

"She's what?"

I heard rustling outside the door before a doctor and Amy then stepped through to my room. Leon leaned down to my ear in than moment and whispered quietly, "Play along or she'll get kicked out." When I gave him a flat look that told him I wasn't going to do that, he padded my bad shoulder with a smirk. "That's the least you can do for betraying me on Vegas."

"But she knew, then it's not--" I growled as he walked out, still grinning. He nodded at Amy in the passing who smiled back and then looked at me. Her face instantly paled by the look of my no-doubt gruesome-looking condition.

"It's not as bad as it looks," I told, rolling my eyes. "You can stop looking at me like I'm goddamn dying and start spilling what it is you want to say."

Her face warmed up again, clearly by how I hadn't lost my dry sense of humor. She pulled on a big exaggerated sweet smile and walked up to me. "Oh, honey. I'm so glad you're safe. How are you feeling?"

"Engaged, apparently."

She chuckled heartfully - also fake - and leaned down and pecked a kiss on my forehead. "You silly man, I can't believe I agreed to marry you. Nurse, would you mind if we had a moment alone, please?"

"Of course. I'll be right outside if you need anything," The nurse smiled at our 'loving reunion' and then left us be in my room. Leon had hooked me up with a private one, the asshole. Who the hell was I going to annoy the shit out of now?

"So, honey," I sarcastically scoffed to her delight. "What are you doing here?"

"Just checking up my plaything. Had to make sure it wasn't broken."

I snorted but secretly felt like smiling. I knew there was a reason my idiotic brain decided it liked her pheromones. "I'll be fine in a few weeks. You'll have to do most of the work in the meantime, but I have a feeling it won't be a problem."

"Shouldn't be, no. I purchased these gorgeous new police handcuffs that I just can't wait to try out. And since you won't be able to put up a fight..."

"Very funny. Cut the crap, you know, don't you?"

"Know what?" She smirked innocently, brushing a thumb over my brow, following a suture. "That the carpet matches the drapes? Yes, I do."

"You're going to force me to say it, aren't you?"

"If I can, yes."

"Well you can't, words so stupid will never leave my mouth ever again, they don't mean anything anyway. Chemistry and attraction is shown through touch and bodily intimacy, not through meaningless, corny words that's become a token of great--"

"Oh just fucking say you love me."

"Fine. I love you. Happy?"

She didn't speak, just split her mouth into a wide smile. She then leaned down and pressed a kiss to my lips, a kiss I only partially welcomed and didn't return. She wasn't going to turn all sappy on me now, wasn't she? Good God, what had I gotten myself into again? Wasn't the first time enough? Had I learned nothing?

"Don't get that look now," She said, pulling back and smirking mischievously. "I see that pretty little brain of yours working in overdrive, it's not good for it. Not right now anyway, right now you need to rest. When you get back to your apartment, I'll make sure there'll be something interesting for you to... deduce."

I pursed my lips and looked her up and down. "What are you, Amy? I can never figure you out."

She just smiled and hiked up in her thin bag before walking up to the door. "I'm a woman."

- And that sentence in itself was a mystery.

• • •

Ah, women. The greatest mystery known to mankind.