The Other Girl (Julielmo Fan Fiction) 31

I woke up gripping the blanket on my bed so tightly that it almost ripped. The sweat dripped down my face left a salty taste on my swollen lips. The nightmares had gotten so bad that I sometimes woke up calling her name repeatedly with my whole face puffy. Every word in that letter keeps hunting me...The letter in which Julie chose to end us.  I couldn’t fight the tears. I was weak. Always had been. I threw my hands over my face and exhaled in a pointless attempt to catch my racing mind. Jees. I massage my temple cos it aches terribly. I can’t even remember how I got home safe.

I willed my legs to work as I jumped out of bed and ran down the dim hall and into the bathroom. I switched on the light and stared into the mirror. My reflection was crystal clear and shows every bit of the lost man that I was. The pain in my brown eyes was very distinct. I turned on the cold water and splashed a handful on my face. The frigidness of the water gave me the chills that ran all the way through my whole body. I shot back, feeling the pressure of tears at the back of my throat.

After drowning in my own sorrow I made my way through the house. The house was empty. Empty just like me. I stepped back into the kitchen and find Frank zipping his coffee.

“What the hell are you doing here?” I gasped as I saw his mischievous smile.  

“Pshh.. What a pleasant way to greet me right this morning Elmo..here coffee..” Resting his hip against the counter, he crossed his ankles and stubbornly settled in.

“Shut up Frank.. sumasakit ulo ko..” ..” I plopped down on a kitchen chair and rubbed circles on the side of my head.

“Tsk. Sino may sabing maglasing ka kagabi”

 “I can’t remember anything.. ” I blew on the surface of my coffee, then took a quick sip.

“Okay let me tell you.. You puke on my car, you puke on my shirt and you puke on your bed... naalala mo na?”

“really?” I took another zip from my cup. Jolt of caffeine woke me effectively.

“Psh..baka di mo naalala yung pinag gagawa mo sa bar kagabi..” I was caught off guard. I closed my eyes try to remember the thing that happened last night.

FLASHBACK

I leaned in and took a big swig of my mixed drink. I swallowed it quickly and took one more.

“Stop it Elmo you’re drunk..” Frank appeared beside me.

“No! I’m not drunk Frank..” I pushed his hand away and took a sip of my mixed drink.

“What the hell Elmo.. Stop it”

“Come on.. grab a drink my treat.. ”

“Tsk.. How long you’ll be doing this Elmo?” He looked at me with haunted eyes for a long minute; then his shoulders slumped.

“Until I find her..” Looking into his worried eyes, I let him see how worn down I was.

“Elmo.. 3 years na.. Maraming pwedeng mangyari... Maybe she moved on already.. and look at you...you look like a trash...” Lowering my gaze to my glass, I didn‘t confess that I‘d wondered the same thing once or twice.

“Shut up Frank..” I squeezed the glass tightly in my hand and then slammed the shot down. The liquid burned as it slid through my parted lips and down my throat. It felt raw. I started coughing and choking.

“Easy...Look Elmo.. You’ve been looking for her over the years.. Pero anon palagi kang bigo..”

“No. I will see her again..” I whispered.