"I'm-" You paused, your brow furrowed in confusion. "I'm... Y/N." That felt right as it rolled off your tongue. Maybe your brain wasn't completely useless. "Why can't I remember anything?"

Newt sighed. "That's a loaded question. Why don't I help you out of the Box, and then I'll explain everything?" You nodded, and reached for the hand he was offering to you. The second your hand met his you was filled with a sense of familiarity and... calmness?

It made no sense at all.

Suddenly you were snapped out of your trance when a large boy approached you and and wrapped his arm around your shoulders. "Sure is a hottie. Mind if I keep her?" He chuckled, but you shot him a look that you hoped could have melted the flesh right off of his face. He backed off.

"Can we talk, somewhere less... Filled with other people?" Your eyes flitted from boy to boy, most of them gawking at you like a prize turkey. They all looked hungry, but more then that they looked curious, and you could not deal with anyones curiosity besides your own right now.

"Yeah, of course. Follow me." Newt gestured for you to follow him, and he seemed to be leading you towards a cluster of trees. As you walked Newt was trying to explain everything going on in this place. You listened, but more to his voice than anything else.

Your gaze skimmed across the hard stone walls and the branches of tall trees, but the most beautiful landscape was the planes of the boys face. You were looking at him as if you would go blind any moment, drinking in his features like fresh water.

He seemed to notice, but he didn't say anything, keeping his eyes trained ahead. It felt almost deliberate. "I'm about to say something crazy," you said out of the blue. You weren't really sure if explaining the jumble in your head was a good idea, but you didn't think you could manage keeping it in much longer.

"We're used to plenty of crazy around here, so don't worry about it." He laughed, but he seemed hesitant.

"Okay, well here is goes. You..." You bit your lip, looking for the right words. If you were going to explain something this strange to him, you'd better do it right. "You feel more familiar than anything in this whole place. Even more familiar than the sky or the grass or any of it. And it feels crazy, because I can't remember anything. But I remember you."

He seemed completely speechless. You took this as an invitation to keep going, hoping you wouldn't lose your nerve.

"Do you remember me? Because I might be wrong, but your face... I swear I've seen it before."

I swear I can remember your hands running the course of my spine, and your breath brushing against the skin of my ear as you whispered promises and secrets and stories, your hair golden and soft underneath my fingertips, the steady beat of your heart against my cheek.

He didn't say anything for a long time, and you were sure that you were wrong, maybe the feeling wasn't mutual. But then he spoke. "I've been in this place about a year, and I've never been able to remember anything. But the second you showed up, it was like I could hear a voice whispering in the back of my head. I think the voice was yours."

You made sure not to move any closer to him, even though every part of your body was calling for him to wrap his arms around your body, pull you to him and kiss you until you forgot your own name. Turns out it was certainly a possibility, forgetting your own name. "Can I say something crazy again?"

"Let's just say you always have my permission to say something crazy, alright love?" He smiled slightly as he said this, but his eyes still look bewildered. Almost like he couldn't believe what kind of scene was unravelling before him.

"When I look at you, I feel like all I want to do is crumble beneath your touch. It's like you have control over my brain. Your face keeps flashing behind my eyes, but it's different. It's like a memory I can't quite hold onto. I feel like you slipped away, like you left, but I've found you. I think someone took you away from me, but I've found you."

You felt like crying, especially at the look he was giving you. He looked lost, but there was hopefulness inside it all. He started moving towards you, and you stumbled into him, letting his warmth envelope you. His lips met yours, and a kaleidoscope of images burst behind your eyes.

You remembered.

All your friends had started getting sent away, sent up, and you realized now that it was to this infernal place. They said that Newt was next, and you can still remember the crippling despair clawing at your ribcage when you'd held him the last time. The despair that never really left.

He stayed strong, rocked you back and forth, telling you it would be okay. You both knew he was lying, but it was okay. Sometimes lies are better than the truth.

You had loved him with every atom in your body, and he had loved you.

He had loved you.

Breaking apart, you both looked at each other, panting. You swallowed before speaking, your whole body shaking, wavering. "Do you... Do you remember...?" He nodded, his eyes filling with tears.

"God, Y/N, I love you so much. I can't believe I ever forgot." And then you were in each other's arms again, holding onto each other for dear life. "It's been so hard here alone, it's been so lonely." You could feel his tears staining your shirt. He'd always felt the need to be so strong for you, but now he was the one broken down and torn apart.

It was your turn to protect him. And you would, because this time you would not let him slip between your fingertips. This time, you would save him.

A/N: Heyyyy guys, hope you liked it. @IdcSterek (great username btw) commented on the first imagine that I should write a part two, and I thought that would be a fun idea, so here we are. I know I update super slowly, but I'm running out of ideas! Not fully though. Just kinda. So I need to wait for inspiration to strike, as cliche as it sounds.

I'm trying to start writing a series, and it's really difficult. But it's really important to me to get it done SO I NEED TO JUST GET THROUGH IT. The beginning is always the hardest, because you want to start it properly but its really bloody hard. If I ever get around to writing it, would you guys read it? If I posted it obviously?

It's sort of hard to explain what it's about, but if you're really curious just, like, PM me <3