I wasn't going to make it!

The dance started at exactly 8:30 and I didn't want to miss it. Coming from a private, all-girls school this dance was one of the only events each year when they got to partner with the local boys school. And, as it happened, my timer was about to run out.

I was so excited that I would meet my soulmate at the dance, when I looked really nice. As it was, though, I was going to miss my chance because I was running late and whoever it was would probably never meet me or they would think their timer ran out for someone else or something terrible would happen and we would both end up alone.

I glanced down at my timer which now showed ten seconds. There was no possible way I could get to the dance in time. I stepped on the gas just a little harder.

Then the entire world seemingly exploded around me.

Everything was spinning and I was in shock, absolutely confused at what had just happened. I sat for an unknowable amount of time. I saw red but I wasn't sure why because my dress was a light blue.

The timer! I looked down and saw one second. Then someone opened my door and I glanced up. Things were blurry after I turned my head but there was a man. He looked upset but calm. I think he spoke but I couldn't really understand. I briefly realized that this must be my soulmate. He leaned across me to undo my seatbelt and I looked at my timer: all zeros.

He looked straight at my face and spoke again but it sounded like he was talking into a pillow. I shook my head and tried to tell him to speak more clearly but the world spun again and I'm not sure he heard. He reached around me and started to lift me out of the car. I put my arms around him and found that he was very warm and he felt strong. I smiled at the thought.

He put me down on the side of the road. That's pretty strange. I noticed that things were starting to become more clear. My body hurt. It hurt all over and it hurt a lot. I finally managed to ask what was happening. The man told me that we had just been in a car accident.

Wow. My soulmate and I literally ran into each other.

He told me to be still and asked me where I was hurt the most. I told him everywhere and asked if he preferred dogs or cats. He gave me a weird look as if it weren't the time but he said "cats" and brought out what looked like an old t-shirt. He put it gently to the side of my head. It hurt really fucking bad and I jumped back in shock. Apologizing he said that he had to stop the bleeding.

I started to feel sleepy and attempted to communicate that I was going to take a nap. At this he looked scared. I said that I didn't feel unsafe because he was there but he told me not to go to sleep. Help was on the way. Sleep was too inviting. As I drifted off I heard sirens and, as always, wondered who they were going to help. Just before my eyes closed I saw my soulmates face, he had said his name was Jeremy, that's a nice name. I thought that I was lucky to have him, he seems calm even though we were supposed to have just crashed our cars.

The world around me disappeared as I fell asleep.