Chapter 1: Departing

I wrap my hands tightly around her waist, pulling every inch of her body closer to mine as I allow our lips to meet. She places her fingers gently on the back of my freshly buzzed haircut, allowing her beautiful blue eyes to meet mine. I wipe a tear off her cheek and go to speak, but before I can finish my sentence the airport intercom mumbled my flight number. "Be strong for me, okay?"

Our touch fades as I pull away to hug my mom. Upon my touch she falls apart and I can't help but fight back tears. God, I hate seeing them both upset. I lean down and whisper in my mom's ear, "Please promise me you'll take care of Alex." As I stand back up, she nods her head and I kiss her cheek. "I love you, Momma."

I grab Alexia into one last hug and she lays her head on my chest. I sigh and tuck her hair behind her ear as I can't help but think to myself that this is the last time for the next 17 months that I can touch the love of my life. I find myself daydreaming until the intercom snaps me out of it, my gates were open now. I place my forehead on hers and tell her I am beyond in love with her, forced to walk away only seconds after. "I love you too", she says back as I pick up my bag and walk away. I try to make myself appear strong, head high, shoulders back, but I am not strong. My heart has been completely shattered.

What the hell did I sign myself up for?