Chapter 13

I looked at all the burnt buildings surrounding me. Tightening the coat around me, I made my way into the burnt down bar. I glanced around as I remembered that night, a little more than a year ago. Clinking came from the other room and I followed it. Steve sat there at a table, a bottle of liquor and glass in front of him. He turned to look at me.

"Your father said that the serum wouldn't just affect my muscles but also effect my cells. Create a protective system of regeneration in healing. Means um....I can't get drunk. Did you know that?" He asked, looking down at the bottle. He poured some more as I grabbed a chair.

"Your metabolism burns four times faster than the average person." I sat down in the chair next to him. "He thought it could be one of the side effects. It wasn't your fault."

"Did you read the report?" He asked me, not even looking at me.

"Yes, but I was also there." I reminded him.

"Then you know that's not true." He said. He drowned the drink and placed it down on the table.

"You did everything you could. Did you believe in your friend?" Steve looked up at me then back at the glass in his hands. "Did you respect him? Then stop blaming yourself. And allow Bucky the dignity of his choice. He damn well must of have thought you were worth it."

"I'm going after Schmidt. I'm not gonna stop until all of Hydra is dead or captured." He grunted out. I reached up with a gloved hand and placed it over his.

"You won't be along in that."

I flipped through the file that was in front of me. Glancing at the pictures of the base. Steve sat next to me at the head of the table as we went over the mission.

"Johann Schmidt belongs in a mad house. He thinks he's a god and he's willing to blow up half the world to prove it. Starting with the U.S.A." Phillips told us.

"Schmidt's working with powers beyond our capabilities. He gets across the Atlanta, he'll wipe out the entire Eastern Sea Board in an hour." Howard said coming up and sitting at the table.

"How much time do we have?" Gabe asked Phillips.

"According to my new best friend, under 24 hours." Phillips answered him.

"Where is he now?" James asked. I turned my head away from Phillips and stared past Steve. Then at him. His eyes were slightly sunken in from lack of sleep. I could always hear his slightly whimpers at night when he sleeps. How he always looked so tired and so sick since Bucky's death. But he wouldn't let anyone see it. Then I saw Steve's lips move.

"That's exactly what we're going to do."