xi. Crouches Don't Cry

eleven crouches don't cry

🦋

     ALL OF THE NEXT WEEK, LAUREL had spent her evenings with four boys. Over the course of a Potions lesson, Laurel and James had decided upon the most effective spells for the map. And it was safe to say, Laurel was excited.

     The spell was a mix of a couple from her volumes, the enchantments to make someone's eye and hair colour to temporarily change. By the way the experiments had been going, Laurel had high hopes for the map.

     The next Monday, Laurel figured that the week's evenings would play out the same — she'd have dinner, she'd go to the library, she'd have to ask one of the boys to get a book from a high shelf for her (... she'd tell them to shut up when whoever helping her teased her for her lack of long legs), and she'd return to her dorm room. She walked into the Great Hall with Harleen and Roman, whom were talking about the lessons they had that day.

     Really, neither were aware of the fact that Laurel had been inching their seats in lessons closer to Lily and Marlene, or the boys if possible. Quite truthfully, Laurel was waiting for the day that they'd mention it, and she'd end up having to explain to them why she disliked their ways of thought. It was difficult to explain something to two that were both narrow-minded and stubborn.

     "Hey, Laur," said Remus, walking up to her at the Ravenclaw table. Her stomach jolted at Laur. "Is there a spell to turn someone's blood into poison?"

     Her stomach dropped.

     That's her spell.

     "Why... are you asking?" she asked.

     Her vocal chords had tightened, and her voice was close to cracking, as though she was on the verge of tears. Laurel didn't want to cry. Laurel didn't cry. Crouches don't cry. Crouches face problems with stony faces, no emotions. Crouches don't cry.