ix. Hurt a Fly

nine hurt a fly

🦋

     THE REALISATION THAT ROMAN and Harleen were, deep down, terrible human beings, had left Laurel feeling pretty... shitty. She really didn't understand how it had taken her this long to realise, but, then again, the more she thought about it, she couldn't help but realise that they weren't as close as she believed.

     Neither of them had noticed Laurel's complete absence in the past week, anyway, and as pathetic as it sounded, having no friends, Laurel would much rather be a loner, than deal with Death Eaters wannabes.

     And although she had dropped the two like hot coals, she still felt bad about it. Looking back, she knew that they really weren't super close, but still. She felt guilty, the fact that she had been friends with them for so long, and never realised. Was she not paying attention? Sometimes she zoned out, sure, but she didn't think she was that bad. And if that wasn't the case... Did Laurel knoew, deep down, they were like this, and didn't care?

     They were close to her on the Ravenclaw table that morning, when the owls arrived. Laurel, in the nicest way, didn't have the time for them. If they were considering becoming a Death Eater, they weren't her friends. But, they were hurt, and kept on looking over at her, as if she was in the wrong. (She didn't know she was the one, supporting a supremacist?)

     As her owl, Atlas, landed in front of her, she glanced across at the Gryffindor table, and caught eyes with Remus. They smiled at each other, before she turned away, to look at her letter.

     Immediately Laurel realised it was from her mum, handwriting so pretty it could soften the blow of "terrible news."

     Laurel,

     I checked the bookcase in your bedroom like you asked. The spell books that I found included your old schoolbooks, and volumes one, three, and seven of those other journals. Honestly, though, I'm not sure how safe it is, following Knockturn Alley hexes.