Chapter Two: Fate Will Lead

Another bit of a filler. I had a longer chapter written out but something felt wrong about it and I finally cut a huge chunk out and slapped it into the publisher. Sorry for the formal language and peculiar wording but I wanted to create a large gap between Calendre's world and the outside.

“The family is going to your Uncles’ estate tonight, Calendre.”

I breathed out a breath through my nose but remained secure in my delicately woven composure. “That’s nice Lucile, I hope they have a grand time with fathers’ side of the family. I do believe the branches haven’t mingled since last Christmas.” I commented listlessly. Lucile was one of the house staff closest to me and was usually the one who I managed to pester into sitting in the gardens with me so I could enjoy the fresh air and the sounds of nature. A pleasant woman with two children and the smell of peppermint around her at all times, she enjoyed regaling me tales of the servants’ mischief and the gossip of the household. Lucile was my closest companion.

“Aren’t you a bit upset, miss?” she asked hesitantly. I heard her shift and turned my head her way. “You’re going to be left alone in the house. Tonight is the staffs’ night off and your mother and siblings won’t be returning until late into the night if they don’t plan to stay till morning in your Uncles guest rooms…”

A soft chuckle left my lips. I knew that she herself was unnerved by the night often—something about the shadows rolling in and the sky darkening to black— but I could never understand it. How could one be frightened of a change they couldn’t see? “I will be fine Lucile. I am not frightened by the earths’ cycle; the only difference I notice between the two time periods is that one has different sounds than the other.” I assured her. A bird twittered to my left and just as soon was joined by another who let out a few shrill notes and they both dove by in a rush of air towards the hibiscus trees planted in the south end of the gardens. The corners of my mouth tugged up at the playful game.

Lucile cleared her throat slightly, “That is not all I worry about, Calendre.” The tingle of awareness flashed through me, alerting me to movement, before a hand was brought down on my shoulder to rest. “You come from a wealthy family. I realize you do not have experience outside the walls of the estate but not everyone is as welcoming as the staff your mother hired.” The fingers tightened on her. “There is a real danger that robbers could break in and harm you when trying to get the—”

“Mother also has the best security system money can buy, Lucile.” I reminded her gently.

It was true. My mother had wasted no amount of cash to secure the house as best she could. The security measures ranged from old fashioned watch dogs to motion detectors and cameras positioned all over the grounds. It was a little ambitious for anyone to assume they could get through.

The silence I received was telling and it was clear that she did not fully agree with my reasoning but she lifted her hand and stepped away.

“That is true, Miss.” She acknowledged.

Her displeasure made my skin prickle. Oh the woes of being close to someone: their emotions tended to sway your own. But to me the benefits of such a relationship greatly outweighed the drawbacks. Searching to allay her fears and get Lucile back into her usual chipper temperament, I blocked off the sounds and many scents I’d been reveling in and turned fully towards her. “Speaking of security, I haven’t visited Tasha for a while. Could we perhaps go see her?”

At first I was unsure if I had properly coaxed her from her brooding but when a laugh flew from her I knew I had. “Of course, Miss. I’m sure she’d be so very excited to see you.” She gently grasped my hand and I rose to my feet with an amused smirk quirking my lips, if only slightly.