"You okay?" Simmons is standing at the other end of the hallway. Clearly, she doesn't want to get close to me, and when I snap out of my thoughts I realise why- my fists and teeth are clenched. Obviously she thinks I'm about to turn into that thing again.
"Fine." I mutter, letting my hands uncurl. She doesn't look convinced, but begins to approach me anyway. She's holding a brown paper bag and a bottle of water, and I take them carefully. "Thanks."
"No problem. Call me Jemma." It's a pretty name, and I nod. "If you don't have any objections, I was wondering if we could perhaps talk about the transformation." There's something almost eager in her voice. I wince. "I was just hoping- well, I've always wanted to study Doctor Banner, and his work is extraordinary- but of course if you don't want to..."
If I say no, I get the feeling she'll deflate like a balloon. "Yeah. Sure." I mutter, trying not to smile as her face lights up.

"So when did you realise you were changing?" Jemma asks. I'm sitting on a cleared lab bench, eating an apple. I chew the piece I've bitten off, swallow, and clear my throat.
"I, erm, looked down and my hands were turning green." I glance at my hands again. Nope, brown as ever. It's okay, I think. Just stay calm and you won't change.
"And how did that feel?" Her hands are poised over a tablet, ready to take notes. There is a vial of blood on the side, and although I'm no scientist, I suspect it's mine.
"Painful." I wince. The violent silver sound of my bones cracking is still fresh in my mind. "It felt like I was dying. I thought I was having a heart attack, or something." She pushes a strand of brown hair out of her eyes and taps something out.
"And you don't remember any of your previous transformations?" Jemma pushes. I look at my feet, still bare, hanging above the floor.
"No, I- nothing solid. My memories are sort of... Fluid, at the moment. I can grasp onto the colours, but I can't associate them together very well."
"The colours?" Internally, I curse. I hadn't meant to reveal that. Setting the apple down, I try and think of a way to explain what goes on in my mind.

"When I hear sounds, I see colours." I say, rubbing my eyes. "It's like- I don't know, it's like a screen in the corner of my eyes or something. Like, if I told you to imagine green, you can see it, can't you? But it's not there." Jemma leans forward.
"Is this a side effect of the experimentation, or-"
"No." I shake my head. "I've always had it. Your voice is pink," I say resignedly. "Like cherry blossom, really pale. No two sounds are exactly the same colour."
"Fascinating." She whispers to herself. And then- "I think you probably have synesthesia."
"Synes-what?"
"In basic terms, it means two or more of the senses are linked. I've heard of people who have sound and taste linked- they hear a noise and taste something. You seem to link sound and sight." I raise my eyebrows.

"It's not a disability or something, is it?"
"Not at all- Synesthesia is a neurological phenomenon in which stimulation of one sensory or cognitive pathway leads to automatic, involuntary experiences in a second sensory or cognitive pathway." She recites. I blink.
"What, did you swallow Wikipedia or something?" I ask. She laughs.
"You're not the first one to ask me that. Now, just hang on-" she starts typing furiously into her tablet, before making a small hissing sound of success. "Here we go. It looks like you've got a branch of Synesthesia known as Chromesthesia, which is the association of sounds with colours."
"So other people see what I see?" I ask, finally interested in something she's telling me.
"Not exactly. It says that people rarely agree on what colour things are. Apparently composers Liszt and Rimsky-Korakov famously disagreed on the colour of music keys."

I sit back, drumming my fingers on the side. "Well, at least I'm not 100% a freak." Jemma looks up.
"You shouldn't say that," she says, sounding a little upset. "Doctor Banner is a hero, not to mention a brilliant doctor, and he's got what you've got." She makes it sound like an illness. If only it were that simple.
"Easy for you to say, you're not the one that can rip tables apart." I retort, thinking of the splinters in the carpet of the hospital room. What did the other patients think happened? What did Doctor Millett think? Surely they were told to keep quiet. "Wait, does this Banner guy know that his blood is inside some Irish teenager?"
"I believe he's being informed, yes." Jemma says warily. "It might help to shed light on where they got the blood- and who supplied it."

"And have you heard of this Tarantula person?" I push. She looks more uncomfortable now.
"I'm really not supposed to say anything, it's all classified-" she says nervously. I glare. "Look, we don't know much about her. She's a complete mystery! And wherever she got the skills needed to do anything like this, I don't know."
"Anything like what?" I ask, confused. "How much skill do you need to inject someone with some blood?" From her face, I can tell she knows she's said too much. "Wait, what else did she do?"
"I should really go-"
"No, you can't just run out on me!" I leap down from the table. "Tell me what she did!"
"You've got to keep your blood pressure down!" She says urgently, the pink blush colour of her voice turning to fuchsia. "Brynn, please, take a deep breath." I quickly look down at my hands and gulp. The skin's getting paler. "Go on, deep breaths. You've got to get your heart-rate back down." Unthinkingly, I do as she says, shutting my eyes tightly. "Imagine a balloon inflating and deflating." Jemma suggests. Eventually, I feel the thumping of my heart get back to normal. Thank God. Destroying an airplane in a fit of anger isn't something I wanted to be connected to.

"Sorry." I huff out a breath. "God, I'm so sorry." When I open my eyes, Jemma is about three shades paler. "I didn't mean to scare you or anything- god." I wrap my arms around myself as if I can somehow hold the monster inside me back.
"No, I'm sorry. You're right, you should know." She moves closer, and her voice drops to a whisper. "The blood wasn't enough. Agent Hill found the remains of a laboratory and compound near where you were found in Ireland, and we believe they were trying to completely recreate Doctor Banner's accident. You were exposed to Gamma Radiation." My head whirls, but I manage to stay calm.
"The remains?" I choke. "They didn't find any people?" Her face is sad.
"No. A few dead men believed to be hired thugs, but no one of importance- it looked like the place had been evacuated and torched to the ground shortly after you escaped."
Jake, I think. Oh god, what happened to Jake? And the girl with the plaits- Freya! That was her name, wasn't it? And there had been others, but I can't remember...
"I'm sorry, Brynn, that's all I know." She jumps away from me as the door opens. It's Fitz, the one I attacked. He sends me a disgruntled look, and then glances at Jemma.

"We're landing."

[ A/N : Cac = shit! // Tú beagán ... dúr ... Argh = You little...stupid...argh!
Hope you're enjoying the story so far, as well as the appearances of our favourite Agents Of Shield! At time of writing, 21 people have read this! That's amazing! Thank you each and every one of you!
Question : Do you watch AOS? If so, who is your favourite character?
Please vote and comment, and once again, thank you for taking the time to read this book! ]