Seventeen

would you stick around for the come-down?

She arrives at the mercado a bit before noon, passing the stands and shops with a new sort of awareness. Pulling a heist in this place tomorrow around the same time feels both bold and naive, and weren't it for Seth by her side, Amber wouldn't have the guts to pull off anything remotely shameless.

She spots Rafael at the herb stand, just like he'd assured her he'd be. He works 6 days a week, he told her, trying to support his tía. Amber wanted to ask more about the matter but refrained from it in the end—she wouldn't be comfortable with discussing her own family matters with him either.

"Hey, here I am."

Rafael looks up from something that looks like a magazine about motorcycle gear.

"I see."

"I told you I might need your help," she says, leaning against the counter. "I hope it isn't too much to ask for."

"Considering the things you've already asked me to do, it can't be much more difficult, can it?" He flashes her a smile.

"Shouldn't be." She watches him close the magazine, giving her his full attention. "Concerning that other thing I asked you to do," she looks up to him, "are there any news?"

Amber knows it's only been a day since she asked him to find Santanico and alongside her hopefully Richard, but the more time she spends in the motel room the more she begins to develop the impression they're never gonna get out of there. She hates to admit it; but Seth finding back to his old ways would be the only thing that could get him out of there, and part of that journey to his old self is his brother.

Rafael gives her a look. "Depends—do you watch the news?"

At that, Amber exhales deeply. "You saw it, too."

"I take it they're wrong," he says, "because yesterday, that boyfriend of yours shooting glares at me, he reminded me a lot of one of those Geckos. In the news they said they were dead, but he seemed pretty alive to me."

Amber shifts, her glance wandering to the market. "It's complicated."

"Fine, don't explain," Rafael states, "but I got one question. Does he know?"

"Seth?" She watches him nod. "About the supposed death? Yes. About me trying to find Richie? No. All he knows is that I want to work with you—for the heist, I mean."

"And he's good with it?"

"I wouldn't be here otherwise."

"I see." Rafael straightens his posture, changing his weight from one foot onto the other. "Well, I can help you, Amber. And maybe there's something you could do for me, too...I'm starving, you know."

Momentarily her eyes go wide, before he rushes to shake his head. "No, no, no, no," he chuckles, amused, "I don't mean yourself."

Amber hesitates. Preying on innocent people, it's no different to what was done in the Twister. "I'm not sure I can do that."

Rafael leans closer to her over the counter, and unconsciously, Amber takes a step back.

"I fear that's the only thing you can offer me in return," he says.