Chapter 02

James POV.

I knew I was due at Starbucks to meet Jeanne at 4, but our practices continued until 4:15. Swearing under my breath, I swung my bag across my torso, and climbed into my car. I was still in my jersey, dripping with sweat, but I didn't care.

As soon as I entered, I saw two girls fighting at the nearest table.. Jeanne and someone I couldn't recognize, wearing bunny ears.

"you're such a spend-thrift!" Jeanne cried in exasperation. I raised my eyebrows and folded my arms across my chest, looking at them patiently.

"But-- it's your birthday and I bought you only a cupcake!"

"But I thought it was from--" She turned her head to notice me standing by their table and her eyes widened-- "Daniel," she concluded.

"Hi," I said and took the seat opposite to Jeanne, as her friend silently left.

Jeanne looked at me and wrinkled her nose, "You stink."

"Good, I didn't want to have a wash so you wouldn't get too close to me."

"Oh please, you'd be dreaming, if you think I want to get close to you," she rolled her eyes. "I don't think anyone does."

This time it was my turn to roll my eyes. "People are dying for me, you know. I'm irresistible."

"You wish," she said, rather ignorantly. "Anyway, coming to the subject...my chain?"

"Oh yeah," I said, even though I was slightly annoyed at the fact that she didn't want to discuss anything else with me. "Well, there's this girl..."

She cocked an eyebrow, waiting for me to continue.

" . . . I find her very attractrive, and I want you to, you know, bring us together."

If I was right, I thought her face slightly paled, but I could never guarantee for her voice did not support my opinion. "And I thought you said you were irresistible," she said, cleverly. 

"Of course," I said quickly, slightly embarrassed. "I mean, if she knows me, then she'd be mine by now, without a doubt, you know.  But I have no intentions of stooping low to get me under her attention, and that's why I want you to do it."

"Whatever you say," she said. "Give me her number."

HOLY SH*T. IS SHE SERIOUS? THIS IS NOT HAPPENING. WHAT DO I DO NOW?

"Er...yeah," I said. I scrolled down my contact list, in search of a trust worthy person. Luke. I recited his number without thinking twice.

"What's her name?" she asked, saving his number in her phone. A pang of jealousy shot through me. She was probably the first girl in school to save Luke's number before mine.

Jennifer, Adriana, Lawrence? No. "Liza," I said the name of Luke's sister, stupidly. 

Why did I have to say that name? She wasn't my type at all. And Luke's sister? He'd kill me if he get to know.