ii. matthew

Troye picked up the book from Connor's lap, and raised his eyebrows. "What is this crap?" He asked, taking a bite of his carrot stick. He dipped it into Connor's hummus, and sat beside him. "Is this your erotic story about our adventures?"

Connor rolled his eyes. "Yes, except you're a side character who ends up dying from being ran over. Whoops." Shrugged Connor. Troye smirked, sitting on the table.

"I like that. Gives me the sympathy card. Do I live after?" Asked Troye.

Connor scoffed, taking back his book. He put it into his backpack. "What part of you dying makes you think you'll survive. If anything, you'll die a quick death, you're welcome."

"Woah!" Said Matthew, sitting down in front of Troye. "What kind of conversation did I walk into?" He kissed Troye's forehead. "Hello love, how has your day been?"

Troye hummed. "Good until Connor killed me in his erotic book about us. Can you believe that? If anything, I add the wit and character to his book." He pouted at Connor, pouted.

Connor rolled his eyes. "It's not a book about him." Assured Connor, seeing the uneasy look on Matthew's face. "It's a little journal I've just started keeping. Filled with dark, deep and juicy secrets about me."

Troye snorted, drinking some water. "Like what? How you peel the banana from the wrong end? Super juicy."

Matthew smiled. "Do you want lunch?" He asked, squeezing his knee. "I can bring you back a slice of pizza."

Connor looked up at Troye, who glanced at Connor. "Connor usually brings me something." Said Troye, furrowing his eyebrows a bit. "Regardless, no thank you. I'm on a strict diet."

"Since when?" Laughed Connor. "You love the pizza from here. You practically countdown the days until we have it."

"Since now," Said Troye, rolling his eyes. "I'm going through a change. You're all supposed to support me in this."

Connor patted Matthew's back. "Our boy becomes a man. Where have the time gone?" Matthew smiled awkwardly. "I'm getting food."

He nodded at Troye, and went towards the line. "I'll go with." Said Matthew, kissing Troye's cheek. Troye looked at Connor, then Matthew. "I'm bring you back at least a fruit."

"Whatever, guess my words mean nothing." Said Troye, leaning back on the table. Matthew and Connor both walked towards the line. Today the lunch line was outside. Every now and then, the school switched up where the student body ate. Today, outside. Tomorrow, back inside.

Connor hugged himself as he stood besides Matthew, tapping his finger against his arm. Matthew smiled at a couple of girls and boys who waved at him. He glanced at him, to find Matthew staring right at him.

"He doesn't like me much, does he?" Asked Matthew, fixing his fringe. Connor looked at him, furrowing his eyebrows. "Troye. He doesn't like me."

Abort. Abort. "Of course he does." Said Connor, almost too fast. "He's just...different to expressing emotions. He'd say your shirt is ugly, when it's probably his favorite shirt of yours. Things are almost opposite when it comes to Troye."

Matthew nodded. "Is he always like this to you? Or is he more direct?" Asked Matthew, picking out a perfect apple from the basket. Connor stared in awe. No one ever picks a perfectly ripe apple.

"Uh, yeah. I think so. We met not so long ago, maybe two or three years. He's-yeah, he's always been like this." Chuckled Connor, picking between salad and a pineapple pizza.

Matthew swiped his card. "How do you truly know if he likes you or if he's just using you?" He asked, waiting for Connor to pay. Once he does, they move their conversation to the salad bar and condiments area.

"Do you?" Asked Connor. Matthew squirted some ketchup onto his patty. "Do you feel used?"

Matthew looked up at him. "Honestly? Yeah, I do. We don't really know each other. And when we talk there's always these awkward silences. But the weird thing is, it's only when you're there."

Connor froze, dropping the tomato he was going to put on his plate. "Me?" He asked, dumbfounded.

"Yeah." Whispered Matthew. Connor looked up at him, about to say something. Matthew smiled at him. "Have you told him yet?"

Connor shook his head. "Told him what?"

Matthew smiled. "That you're in love with him." With that, Matthew walked away. Leaving Connor with his jaw dropped. He watched as Troye smiled at Matthew once he walked near him. Troye's eyes looked around, until they found Connor's.

Connor felt his cheeks burn. Troye furrowed his eyebrows, and shook his head at his best friend. Connor sighed, and looked down.

He was screwed.