Nine: This isn't love, but it's the next best thing

Depuis le début

Pete was only in his t shirt and jeans and was visibly shivering, and was wishing he had brought a hoodie at the very least.

Mikey looked over at the smaller boy who had walked toward him and then stood awkwardly next to him.

"Hey." Mikey broke the silence, eager to talk to Pete. Hell, he wanted to grab Pete's face and kiss him as soon as possible.

"Hey." Pete breathed out a response, smiling softly. He was happy to be finally talking to Mikey.

"So, I wanted to say I'm really sorry, for everything. I wish I never-" Mikey rambled, wanting to get his message across quickly, but Pete interrupted, placing a hand on Mikey's cold blushing cheek.

"It's okay, I forgive you."

The pair smiled at each other, looking into the other's eyes. Instinctively, Mikey leaned in to kiss Pete, making both of their hearts beat fast, and softly pressed his lips against Pete's. Pete kissed back for a second, but pulled away before anything else happened.

He felt a small pang of guilt as Mikey leaned back, hurt and confusion in his eyes.

Now was the perfect time to tell him how he felt, after the many days of his friends bugging him about it.

"What's wrong, Pete?" Mikey fiddled with his hands, worried he had done something that messed everything up again.

Pete reached over and held Mikey's hands, stroking his cold knuckles.

"Mikey there's... there's something I have to tell you..." Pete was now shivering, not from the cold, but from the nerves.

Mikey nodded his head, looking more than slightly worried. Pete breathed heavily, looking at the beautiful boy in front of him. He leaned closer to Mikey, and strained a smile, before putting on a serious expression.

It was going to be okay.

"I love you, Mikey Way."

Frozen in shock, Mikey stood, facing Pete, who was smiling nervously.
Mikey didn't know what to say. So he settled with the first thing that came to mind.
"What the fuck?"

Pete bit his lip and held onto Mikey's hands tighter, but Mikey pulled his hands away, leaning back and squinting as if he was examining Pete's brain.

"I said I love you. Because I am in love with you. I really fucking missed you, Mikey."
Pete sighed. This wasn't exactly going as he hoped, but nothing ever did. He had the worst luck.

Mikey stood still and silently, and his poker face made it impossible for Pete to work out how he felt, only making Pete more nervous.

After a long pause, Mikey finally spoke up, after swallowing.
"Uh, well... that's cool, I guess."

Pete didn't know what to feel, whether he should jump into the sun or off a bridge. He stared at Mikey, who stared back, but with a completely different emotion shown in his eyes. At least Mikey was accepting? He thought, trying to find positives in this awkward situation.

It was so awkward, Pete considered just running away, it would be less weirder than this.

"Well, I better go, but I'll see you tomorrow?" Mikey pulled at his coat, wanting to leave.

Pete was heartbroken. Mikey was clearly uncomfortable, and it was all Pete's fault.

Mikey looked down at the small shivering boy, who was still in just his t-shirt and jeans, so he took off his coat completely, placing it over Pete's shoulders. Pete smiled up at Mikey, heartbreak clear in his watery eyes.