Nine: This isn't love, but it's the next best thing

Mikey sat on the end of Gerard's bed, fiddling with the corner of his brother's bedsheets as Gerard sat on the floor, drawing in his notebook.

"What'd you come here for then, Mikes?" Gerard looked up at Mikey, smiling at the corners of his mouth as he flicked hair out his face.
Mikey looked down at his feet, nervous, but he wasn't sure why.

He always came to his brother when he had a problem, and they'd talk about it seriously. Their closeness was unbelievable and made most families jealous. But for once Mikey was just too nervous; he was too scared to talk about love, about Pete.

He didn't love Pete, he knew that, but he still got a knot in his stomach every time he looked at the boy. He still really, really liked Pete, and this meant he obviously really cared for him. And Mikey could definitely tell something was up.

"Gerard, what's going on?" Mikey sighed, he realised he may have known if he actually hung out with his friends, but he decided staying away might be the best option. Mainly because he was too scared to face Pete. He felt like a giant wuss.

"With what?" Gerard raised an eyebrow. Mikey scratched the back of his neck awkwardly and mumbled,
"Pete. He's acting all... funny."

Gerard's face dropped immediately to a serious expression, eyes wide and mouth in a line.
"Mikey, do you still like Pete?"

Mikey definitely still liked Pete.

He spent nearly every moment thinking about Pete, just wishing he could grab Pete and hold him close, kiss him, talk to him, just hold his hand tight. It was painful spending this time away from Pete.

But Mikey was scared. He was so fucking scared.

"Yeah... I really do." Mikey confessed, looking down again, worried about what Gerard was going to say.

Mikey felt the bed shift next to him as Gerard sat, then he placed two fingers under Mikey's chin to force him to look into his eyes.

"You need to tell him. Just talk to him, please. I can tell its killing you, and for God's sake, it's killing us, but it's mostly killing Pete."

Mikey grumbled in defeat. He knew his fears were really stupid, but weren't everyone's?
"Fine. I'll talk to him."

+

Maths homework was the last thing Pete was going to do, even though he was extremely bored and had nothing better to do. So he just lay on his bed, looking up at the ceiling covered in glow in the dark stars.

Pete giggled as he remembered putting them up when he was six, but he's just too lazy to take them off now.

It must have been about ten minutes before Pete got bored of nostalgia and was about to sit up, but a sudden phone chime made him jump and he hit his head on the wall.

He reached for his phone, while mumbling curses under his breath, and checked his text.

He almost jumped again when he saw who it was from.

Mikey Way, the guy who had been avoiding him for what felt like forever, had just texted Pete, and needless to say he was very excited.

hey pete, was wondering if u wanted to meet in the park at 3. mikey

Pete's heart leapt from his chest as he quickly tapped out a response, and he couldn't help but grin stupidly.

sure. see u in ten mins, pete xo

+

Mikey was watching the icy concrete underneath him, bored with waiting in the cold. Luckily he wore a thick black coat, but as he looked up he saw a not so lucky figure across the street.