Departure

Saturday, May 1st, 1915

It had been eight years since she left for her maiden voyage and aside from other modifications, the streaks of paint remained unaltered. The china remained the same. The old sheets were still being slept in. Lusitania was called the Greyhound of the Seas. And she was, she really was...

In New York City's Pier 54, Lusitania's superstructure rose mountainously above the dock with it's black colored funnels standing against the sky like the pillars of Solomon's Temple – and big enough to hold all his wives. Crewmen moved across the deck, dwarfed by the eight year old scale of technology. Boxes and crates were loaded into the hull without any notification of what they contained, some like auto parts and furs, notions, confectionary, silverware...and even one thousand two hundred and seventy one cases of contraband ammunition.

On the pier, horse drawn carriages, motorcars and trucks moved through the dense throng as a father and his daughter watched the ship from a safe distance on the port side. Others waved farewell "bon voyage" to friends and relatives leaving their lives forever...or temporarily.

A silver-grey 1914 Locomobile Berline Town Car, leading a blue colored Detroiter Model B1 Touring of the same year pushed through the crowd, leaving a wake in the press of people. People around the handsomely beautiful cars streamed to get on board the ship, jostling with seamen, stokers, porters, pursers, trimmers and Cunard officials.

The Locomobile pulled up next to the ship and the driver, a burly man with brute strength, opened the right passenger door for a 15 year old boy with fair hair and a stunning back suit with a bowler hat that had a light green band wrapped around it. His name was Adrien Agreste.

Adrien was born to one of the very best families in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania with an eye for attending St

Adrien was born to one of the very best families in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania with an eye for attending St. George's School in Middletown, Rhode Island when he would turn eighteen. But his plans for college were altered to the University of Paris when he became engaged a month earlier to Chloé Bourgeois, daughter of a French politician who claimed to be the daughter-in-law of France's current president Raymond Poincaré. Intelligent, poised, and handsome, Adrien had been schooled since childhood to be everything a young man was expected to be: a model in the field of photography and fashion in his family's company that rivaled female designers like Lucille, Lady Duff-Gordon or Jeanne Paquin and his betrothal to Chloé was considered to be an admiral catch, a perfect pairing of wealth and position. But underneath his scheduled lifestyle, he was unhappy and wanted a chance to see and do more than meet the daily quota of his sheltered life, a spirit that rebelled against the rigid confines and expectations of Edwardian society controlling his destiny.

When Adrien looked up at the Lusitania, he wasn't too impressed, believing it to be as small as the Caronia and not as big like the Olympic or the Deutschland or even the newest Cunard liner Aquitania.

"I don't see any excitement for a decade old ship," he said to Chloé. "It doesn't look any smaller than the Titanic."