Linda held her hands out as if asking for more evidence.

"There is something so perplexing and exciting about finding and studying such objects, objects that just don't fit in the known scheme of things. I see them as clues. I had the feeling that I was on the brink of uncovering a great truth, maybe something that pointed to a hint about ourselves as a species, and what this whole thing is about."

 Ben waved his arms symbolically in an arc.

"I saw myself as a searcher, a seeker of the fundamental truth, if there is one. I was, and still am, convinced the clues are hidden all around us. These things need to be held up to an intelligent and unbiased scrutiny, unafraid of consequences, unfettered by historical dogma. Such an analysis has the potential to herald an entirely new consciousness for mankind."

Adam cleared his throat. He looked at Linda and had to fight to keep his eyebrows from rising. She lowered her head. He turned his gaze around, panning the small room, the single light bulb and finally, caught Ben's eyes. Ben had paused, no doubt catching the brief, silent exchange.

"It sounds pretty far-fetched doesn't it?  An old doctor giving up his medical practice and going off into a hare-brained quest for some fundamental, perhaps mystical truth linked to archeological oddities."

Ben took out a handkerchief and wiped his brow before continuing.

"Hang in there, it gets better, a lot better. My endeavors were not without some result. Every so often I came across the type of finding that would send chills through me. A story of an object out of time, an ancient pictograph or hieroglyph of a technical marvel, man-made artifacts found deep in the earth, and yes, even a story of a gold chain in a lump of coal."

With that, Ben winked at Adam.

"Many of these tales faded into obscurity by the passage of time and indifference. I began to notice a kind of pattern, a kind of habit peculiar to human nature. I think you'll agree that people tend to disregard the abnormal even to the point of ignoring it, in particular when it contradicts their model of history. I saved the most interesting discoveries as newspaper clippings, photocopies and printouts … even hanging them on my bedroom walls.

Adam nodded. "Yeah, I saw those, or at least, I think I did."

"Over the years, the room became filled with these images. I went there to think, to meditate. The room had become my sanctum sanctorum, a most holy and private refuge where I contemplated these ignored, nevertheless significant discoveries. Ranging from obvious examples, like the incongruous age of the Sphinx to the sublime, like the discovery of a metal bowl in solid granite stone. This scavenger hunt of mine lasted nearly twenty years. It had become a way of life for me, researching and following up leads, interviews, traveling and pasting together the bits and pieces that might make up some kind of story, or a thread of a larger story. That's the way it was until a few weeks ago, when I discovered something quite by accident which changed everything."

Ben paused and said, "I'm sorry. It must sound like I'm ranting. You must understand that, with the exception of Hedda, I have not discussed this with anyone."