Chapter Five

Rain viciously attacked the windows and the walls while Destiny sat in the front lounge room. Thunder vibrated through the floor and lightning sent flashes of bright light streaking across the black, night sky. Destiny found the noise soothing, and sat quietly writing in her diary.

It had been three weeks since she had gotten off the plane, and while she was awake, it had been very leisurely. Her grandmother had hardly been around, and for a retired old woman, she seemed oddly busy. Lucy had been the best company she'd had in these past few weeks, and one of the most caring people she'd ever met. She was constantly checking up on her, and insisted on keeping a close eye on Destiny's health. Every now and then she would appear with a thermometer and placed her hand on Destiny's forehead for fever. She had promised not to tell Destiny's grandmother about her being ill, to which Destiny was very thankful, as her grandma seemed too busy to be fretting over her granddaughter's health.

Brandon had been very quiet and withdrawn. He had looked as though he was constantly holding himself back and trying to keep in control of himself. A sort of anger flooded through him, and his jaw was always set and his nostrils flared. Though Lucy would then look over and give him a sympathetic look, and he would calm down a little. He didn't have these characteristics when Destiny was first here, though had changed rather suddenly. Lucy had explained that her grandmother had lowered his pay, but Destiny felt as though there was more to the story, though she wasn't intrigued enough to find out herself, and was happy to let time unfold before her.

Though while she was asleep, her nightmares had grown remarkably, and had become feeling scarily real. It was like she was reliving a memory, and every sense felt real.

As Destiny finished the last of her writing, she blew gently on the pages as to not smudge the wet ink, as her pen was very flimsy and spread the ink out unevenly.

Her grandmother's home was very isolated, and there was no sign of people for miles. Except, Destiny swore she could here the faint shouts of people, but it was probably the thunder playing games with her. She quietly moved the heavy curtain and peered outside. Nothing. The darkness outside made it impossible to see anything on the other side of the pane, and Destiny just shook her head and sat back down as she picked up one of her books.

But just as she was about to sit down, a massive splash of water hit the window, and she dropped her book with a jump. She stared outside with confusion, as the water flooded down the window. Unlike rain, this looked slightly like someone had thrown a bucket of water and it had splashed against the glass. Then she heard a thump at the front door and warily walked over to it.

Another loud thump hit the door, and a puddle of water leaked through the bottom, making the marble floor wet and slippery. Destiny delicately moved over to the door, taking care in every step, and placed a shaky hand on the door knob. With a creak, she pushed it opened and stuck her head outside.

Destiny gasped. A boy unconscious lay at the doorstep of the house, and was drenched in water. His hair covered his eyes and his clothes clung to his skinny figure. Destiny knelt down and placed her index finger on his neck. A pulse, she told herself reassuringly. He still has a pulse. He seemed to be breathing jagged breathes, though his lids were gently closed across his eyes.

Destiny gently reached out and touched his hand. Stone cold. As she stared nervously at him, she, and she didn't know why, hauled his arm over her shoulder and shakily stood up while walking inside while he was leaning against her shoulder.

As she stared at him while breathing deeply, she noticed that it was unusually dark inside, and shuddered from the sudden coldness. She sat there, motionless, while mesmerised by the boy lying at her feet. Who was he? Why, out of the entire world, was he here?