Chapter 1: Welcome to my Life

"Wake up! Emmmmmmmmmm...."
"I'm awake!" Emily sat up alertly in her bed, weighed down by a minimum of five quilts. She found her mother grinning at her and holding on to her bedpost.
"It's the day before your birthday! You're almost 16, Emmy!"
"Not to be a party pooper, Mom, but you've been saying that for about a month now. A month."
"Well, you've been almost 16 for a month!" Lorelei, who you may have realized was the mother here now, grinned which prompted her daughter to do the same.
"Good point."

Emily Gilmore, given the same name as her grandmother, was a tall girl at 5 feet 11 inches. She had received beautiful traits from both mother and father. Dark golden hair, shockingly blue eyes, tons of freckles, black glasses and extraordinarily large feet. Have you ever met someone who you thought, "how can they look so much like both parents if the parents don't look a thing alike?!" Well, that was Emily.

"Dad is making some special day-before-birthday breakfast. So hurry, get dressed!" Lorelei threw yesterday's shirt and jeans at Emily, who caught them perfectly. "Oh, wait, never mind don't wear that shirt I hate that shirt!" Lorelei screamed as her daughter pulled it over her head, glasses and all, laughing.
"This is what I wore yesterday. I'm not going to wear it!"
"Ew! Find something else. And come down quickkkkkkkk!" Lorelei spun out the door giggling, still in her pajamas of course.
Em opened her drawer and pulled out the first pants and shirt she saw. A plaid button down shirt rolled to the elbows and bootcut jeans, a go-to "outfit" for the young girl. Shedding her red plaid pants and gray and white pajama shirt, she pulled on her clothes and ran downstairs. Her father's breakfasts never disapointed.

"Hi, Emily. Waffles good?" Her father asked in his gruff voice as Emily entered the kitchen.
"Um, yeah!" Waffles were her favorite.
"Haha, Em! Guess wha-attt!" Lorelei squealed with delight, and interrupted before her daughter could even answer, which she was accustomed to, "Daddy is letting you have whipped cream! Chocolate chips! Coconut! Strawberries! Never mind, ew, not strawberries, but chocolate. For. Breakfast!"
"She already had hers. Along with...." Emily's father explained.
"Along with, um, yeah," her mom's voice died to a whisper, "maybe, um. Um. Eight cups of coffee."
"Eight! I thought it was five, good lord, Lorelei! You're done." He pulled the almost empty ninth cup out of his wife's hands. "You're insane." He continued as he kissed Emily's head. She nodded, agreeing with her father.

After her third waffle, Emily followed her dad out the front door. Lorelei was behind them, waiting until after they left to start setting out Emily's Birthday Extravaganza. The Extravaganza had been going on for Emily's whole life, with a different big surprise each year the night before her birthday, August 11th. This year was huge. Lorelei was so excited.

Meanwhile, Emily and her father were walking down the beautiful streets of Stars Hollow, her forever hometown. Emily loved, loved, loved Stars Hollow, and even though it didn't have many business opportunities or residents. This was Emily's town. Her only town.
"We're here." Emily's dad opened the glass door to the business. She loved this place, as she had grown up here. From the sign outside down to the old decorations inside and the customers.

One sign said William's Hardware.

The other said Luke's.

Luke Danes. Lorelei Gilmore.

Emily Gilmore-Danes.