I Once Was Lost

"You skulking about is not very reassuring, ma bichette," Augustine told her as she was watching the outside of the lab on the top floor through a broken window.

"I'm trying to be careful," she grumbled, peering around the curtain to the streets below.

He hesitated. "Are you very sure you saw some Team Flare members?"

"Yes!" Ash threw up her hands. "It's hard to miss them, with their garish red outfits."

"They know you are a trainer," Augustine said apologetically. "It is no surprise they would be watching out for you here."

"My hat's gone," she said miserably, missing it. At least her original, official League hat was still back at home. "My hair's been growing longer and I can pin it back at least, so they don't recognize me that way."

"Your clothes?"

Ash looked down at her familiar blue cargo pants, blue and white shirt, red sneakers, and her gloves. They stood out and was by now associated with her...

"I can have Cosette go and get you newer and more feminine clothing," Augustine offered. "And it is probably best that you don't hang around the lab much. Limit your time here. As much as I adore your presence and would like your help around here, your safety is of my utmost concern."

"Can we still buy things around here?" Ash asked skeptically, recalling the mess outside.

Augustine frowned. "There had been plenty of raids earlier on, but some shops have been using their or their friends and colleagues' pokémon to help defend their stores. Some order is trying to be set up, though I have heard rumor of government interference coming soon."

Ash thought about that, feeling hesitant. She wasn't quite sure if that was a good thing...

"Kalos is trying to rebuild," Augustine reassured her. "We are a strong region and will hold up together. I'm sure we'll all be fine, better if we can find a way to contact the world outside our region."

"I hope so," Ash muttered.

"Never mind that! Now, Ash, I shall see to it that Cosette tries to get your clothes, and that way you may move about more freely."

"Thanks, Augustine," she said as he left her.

She continued to watch the outside warily, easily spotting a Flare member here or there. As everyone was busy with their own selves, no one was obviously caring too much about them at this time. She grumbled under her breath. If the people knew those jerks were the reason everything had become like this, she was sure they would care a lot more about those stupid Flare members hanging around.

"Ash," Cosette came into the room, sounding tired. She still managed a smile on her face for Ash, and she tried to reciprocate it. "I've got some clothes for you to wear. I also got some fliers! If you want to find something to do and stay under the radar, there are these non-pokémon jobs you can look into, if you'd like."

"Sure thing," Ash accepted the clothes and the fliers.

"I'll just leave you here to change," Cosette gave one last smile.

Ash changed as soon as Cosette was gone, slipping into the gray leggings and the light blue long sleeve with ease. She ignored the new pairs of underwear, not comfortable with Cosette's choices, though she knew that she would eventually have to use them given that her own were falling apart after everything. She found and put on her new shoes too, not minding the slim boots too much since they were flat and short.