Chapter 2

Warm weather warms a cold heart. The airplane jolts to a stop. Katie twists her neck to the side, hearing the tense muscles come unwind. She gathers her carry on and makes her way to the exit of the terminal.

Jenna was nervous. She hadn't seen her niece since the day her older sister, Vivian, had given birth to her. The one phone call she had with Vivian didn't make her feel like Katie wanted to come to her ranch at all. Jenna, known for her acts of cliches, raised up the sign she had in her hand that said, "Kathrine Heathman's Ride." Her sweaty fingers griped the sides tightly. On top of her nervous behavior, the Georgia weather wasn't helping either.

"Aunt Jenna?" Jenna turns around, realizing she was facing the wrong way towards the terminals. Katie tries to hold back her laughter. "Katherine!" Jenna dropped one of her hands from the sign and quickly hurled her arms around Katie. "Please, call me Katie." Katie tempted to wheeze out. "Sorry." Jenna said, noticing how hard she was squeezing her niece. "I'll help you with that." Jenna beamed at Katie and grabbed the handle of her suitcase. The two headed towards Jenna's car. "So, I have a room set up for you downstairs. The heater has been acting up, so I hope you won't be cold. Well, the low of the day is usually seventy, so I really don't think you would need the heater anyway." Jenna let out a nervous chuckle, noticing her her habit of rambling not failing to make an appearance. Katie smiled.

"It sounds great, Aunt Jenna." Katie put her carry on in the back of the car and made her way to the passenger seat. After they were both situated, Jenna started driving towards the ranch. "Now, I must warn you." Jenna started, while adjusting the AC. Katie was starting to regret wearing pants and a tank top with a flannel shirt. "About?" Katie questioned.

"One of my usual employees volunteered his son to help at the ranch this summer." Katie now focused fully on Jenna. "Are you saying I'm going to be working with him?" Katie asks. "Well, yes. But, what I'm really saying is he will be staying at the ranch with us this summer." Jenna explains. "Oh." Katie didn't know how she felt about staying with two strangers this summer. Even though she was her aunt, she barely knew anything about her. "No worries, Katie. It's not like you will be staying in the same room with him. He is staying in the guest house. Katie let out a much needed sigh. Jenna smiled, recalling the meeting her and Katie had. "One more thing. Call me Jenna, please." Jenna gave Katie a grin and she rolled down her window and turned the music up loud. Katie's earlier thoughts of feeling Jenna as a stranger were slowly starting to evaporated. She felt like she had known her all her life.