Chapter 8- Long Shots

I take the rose from his outstretched hand and hold it delicately, taking extra care not to bend any of the petals.

"You were amazing. Truly amazing." He says. A smile tugs at the corner of my lips.

"I wasn't that good." I reply modestly. Most people would accept a compliment- but people into the performing arts? The second you compliment them they deny it. The majority, anyways. I'm one of those people.

"Are you kidding? You were incredible! You have so much talent bottled up inside you!"

"Technically it's not bottled up, as I did just perform, and I have a job performing, and I've been performing since-" his lips catch mine, effectively shutting me up.

He pulls back and looks at me gently. "You have no idea how long I've wanted to do that for."

I smirk, not trusting myself not to say anything.

"I uh, have something to ask you." He rubs his neck nervously.

"Ok, shoot." I reply.

"Grace... will you go out with me?" My eyes widen as I look up at Noah.

"Me?"

"No, the person standing behind you." I glare at him, since there's no one there.

"No need for the sarcasm.  But sure, I'll go out with you." He grins, picks me up and spins me around.

"Thank you."

"For what?" I ask.

"Saying yes."

*********

When we get home, I pull Hazel up to my room.

"What's up?" She asks after sitting on my bed.

"NoahkindofaskedmeoutaftermyperformanceandIsaidyesandwehavetofindsomethingformetowear."

A smile blossoms on her face.  "Yay!  Leave everything to me. I'll find you the perfect outfit for... when exactly is this date of yours?"

"Tomorrow night."

"Right!  I'll find you the perfect outfit for tomorrow night.  After we go shopping, of course."

"Hazel, we just went shopping!  Do we really have to go again?"

"Yes, we do.  The only things you bought weren't girly, and for a date, you must look like a girl."

"Can't you go shopping and buy the outfit without me?"

"I need to see how it looks on you!"

"We look exactly the same!  Just try it on yourself and you'll know how it looks on me!"

"No.  You're going, and that's final.  Even if I have to drag you there by your cold, dead hands."

My mind immediately shoots to our dead brothers and a look of horror comes onto my face.

"Too soon?!  I'm so sorry Grace!  You know I get over things faster than you, or at least can ignore them."

"It's alright.  I guess I'll meet you in the kitchen tomorrow morning then?" I force a smile onto my face that probably looks more like a grimace.

"Okay, be there 10:00 sharp!" She leaves my room and closes the door behind her.

I sink onto the floor and begin to cry silent tears.  I remotely hear the door open behind me, but I'm too distracted to care. 

Someone pulls me to my feet and sits me on the bed, and sit down beside me.  I look up at who it was.

"Why are you here?"

"I was looking for you.  We have to stay together, you know." Cole replies.  I nod and wrap my arms around him.  He immediately does the same and let's me cry on him.

"Things are going to get better, Grace, I promise." I bury my head in his chest and allow myself to break down my barriers.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Hey guys!  This chapter was kind of happy and sad, I guess.  But it was really short, I'm sorry.

:(

Who do you guys want her to end up with?  Comment below!  I already know, but I want to see what you guys think and how your mindset changes over the course of the book.

Also, I'm sure you guys have questions for the characters.  Comment them below, and I'll pick 10 of my favorites.  Just put who you want to answer the question, there's a max of 5 people.