Breaking Them Up :::10::::

*Damien’s POV*

I march into Kyle’s room, this time not bothering to wait up for a pretty blonde escort. Just as I walk in, about to rant at him for missing three days of school for seemingly no reason, he holds up a calm hand telling me to wait a second.

“I will not wait a-!” the rest of my sentence is cut off as he wraps his arm around my shoulder, covering my mouth with a large hand and smushing me into his side. I struggle noisily, but he keeps my wrapped firm, his cell phoen sandwiched between his shoulder and his ear.

“Yes” he sighs “I realize how bad that’d…. okay dad. Okay.” he sighs “yes, I’m well aware” I starin my ears, trying to hear the other side of the conversation “There really isn’t much I can do ab-” hs stops talking again, lips thinning. “I’m not saying th-” he mouths a curse word and lets the person on the other line talk over him. I was starting to feel warm pressed against him like this.

“Fine. Bye” he pressed end and released me simultaneously. “You really havn’t one polite bone in your body….” he glowered at me.

That’s when I remember I’m here to ask where the hell he’s been. “Dude, right back at you! Where have you been? Seth and Karen are weak right now, we should be hitting them with all we’ve got! Haven’t you ever played Zelda? That’s the best strategy there is!”

He stares at me analysingly “Some of us can’t spend all our time palying video games”

“Well, whatever, I was just using a metaphor…” his eyes were to flat right now. It was kind of creeping me out, having the unyielding, completely defensive orbs pierce into me “Why haven’t you been at school? You don’t look sick or anything…” I look at him closely, avoiding his eyes.

“Family issues” he rubs his temples, walking past me and sitting on his piano bench.”Is that all you came for?”

He sounded like Seth. “What, ‘m not allowed to just visit?”

He opens his mouth, and I can practically read the sarcastic comeback in his eyes before it’s blinked away. His mouth closes and he looks at me, an intense look, but at least the brown to his eyes has some sort of dimension to them again. “You came… just to visit?”

My head tilts “Yeah, I guess. Why, is that weird?”

He looks at me. He just looks at me until I feel more then naked. I feel so exposed its like he’s staring right through my eyes and into me. My stomach twists. I want to look away but can’t seem to drop his gaze. My arm hairs raise. Why was he looking at me like that? “Kyle..?”

He blinked, and the probing gaze was dropped “My apologies, I was lost in thought”

Was it just me, or did this kid get more formal to express embarrassment? Thinking back to when he was asking me to be friends with beneifts I decide, yes, he did. Did that mean he was embarrassed for looking at me like that? Because truth be told, I was the one who felt embarrassed.

I sit on his bed, trying to be casual about it, but feeling the sensation of exposure I’d felt linger in the hair settling on my arms and the back of my neck. “What were you thinking about? And what’s up with you and your dad? You two fighting?”

He looks away, and all traces of the strange eye contact we’d shared vanish “It’s a family issues thing” he rubs his temple “My obnoxious cousin is getting married, and I’d really rather not attend, because I know that if I do, certain words will be said against my family…”

“That sucks” he was to vague for me to say much else “If I can help in any way, let me know”
I said it because that’d what you say to a friend who was dealing with something rough. I didn’t actually mean that if I could help in any way other then a minor one that I’d like to actually get involved, but Kyle, whose gaze had returned to probing my face the moment I spoke, seemed to take me literally.