In a Puff of Smoke

The gleam in Madeline Kane's eyes—as she flipped through her college yearbook, twenty years after having graduated—was all that Judy Flowers needed to see. Madeline, she knew, was trying to set her up...again. But Judy had had it with her best friend's intervention in her love life. For the past six months, Madeline had paired Judy up with every Tom, Dick, and Harry she could find. By hook, or by crook, Madeline was going to get Judy engaged by the end of the year.

Ha! There was a laugh. Judy had gone out with so many "unweddable" men that Madeline sent her way, they were coming out of her ears! The last thing on Judy's mind today was dating.

Sure, Judy had appreciated what Madeline was trying to do. After all, Judy knew how difficult matchmaking could be for someone close to you—she had henpecked her older brother Evan, the same way about finding a girl. But this was different. Judy had found the right woman for her brother; Madeline, on the other hand, was batting minus 1,000 in the beau department for Judy.

"What do you mean you don't want to go, Judy? Tickets to see 'Iggy the Great's Magic Show' tonight are sold out. We're only able to get in, because I personally know him."

"Iggy?" Judy said, gazing at Madeline with disbelief, then passing a glance over the picture of "the guy" in the yearbook that Madeline was pointing out. "Oh, he looks like a real catch."

"You have to have an open mind about this, Judy," Madeline said, closing the book, and hurrying over to the couch on which Judy was sitting. "You know," she added, wiggling her fingers at Judy, "he makes coins disappear, and birds fly out of an empty hat. It'll be fun."

"For the birds, you, or me?"

"Oh, come on, kid," Madeline said, putting her arm around Judy's shoulder. "He's a good magician."

"Going to a magic show isn't my idea of a fun Saturday night, Madeline," argued Judy, shrugging away to a standing position

"Like you really had other plans," Madeline snipped, stepping after her. "You know, that's why you haven't gotten married, let alone engaged, Judy. You're too pigheaded."

Judy's mouth fell open. "Pigheaded?"

"Yes."

Judy crossed her arms and held silent, staring at Madeline.

"Well...so what if he's not..."

"Houdini?" Judy assisted, jokingly.

"Houdini?" Madeline asked, baffled.

"Yes...Harry Houdini. Everybody's heard of him."

Madeline's brow wrinkled. "No. I don't think so."

Then what about like Blackstone? Is Iggy like him?"

"Blackstone?"

"Yeah...Harry Blackstone, Junior. Remember? We saw his Broadway show years ago in New York with 'our' parents."