The District of Lakes(0.7)

ლ ☼ ლ ☼ ლ

He knew that the outside air should've choked him dead. Normally, without an oxygen mask he would've taken one breathe of toxic atmosphere and that would be it. But he had no breath to take. The government had taken that from him.

"How have you survived this long?" Tom said after a moment, to the creature sat beside him. The fox only gave him an incredulous look in return; How would I know?

He stretched out a hand and ran his fingers through the silken hair, letting it tickle his palm. Then he pushed his hand down down as far it would go, till he hit the solid wall of the fox's skin. Real. All real.

"Another of the governments twisted experiments then, I presume. You know they have the nerve to call that place the forest?" Tom's eyes glassed over as he spoke. It was as though he'd stirred up unwanted memories.

"Anyway. I need to get home. To make sure that everything's is as it should be. You coming or not?"

Though logic told him that this was a hungry, proven-to-be-violent fox, he had no choice but to trust her. He couldn't possibly remember the way home so maybe, just maybe, the fox could trace his family scent.

"Here smell this; trace it to my brother." He bowed to let the animal sniff at his shirt.

In a swift movement the fox tore a chunk off. "That was my favourite jumper," Tom said sourly, ignoring the fact it was the only one he had worn for the past and 4 years 3 months and 1 day. He'd been counting.

The fox started walking ahead, instinct leading the way. Tom followed. Walking on the desert sand meant that he occasionally would trip over a dried root or rock; dispersing the dirt below.

It wasn't until the tablets Tom worn off completely, that he realised the true magnitude of his situation. It was strange for Tom- talking to a real life animal. But he felt more able to talk to the fox than he did with the facility workers and he was glad of the company.

In reflection Tom barely knew who he was anymore, having had 4 years of his life snatched away from him. He felt lifeless and empty like the carcass of a badger. One that you used to find on the edge of the road.

All those books he'd read in the Forest Facility had made him feel less alone for a while. It didn't matter whether they were in a different language or not. It didn't matter how many words were scribbled or burned away because they were 'inappropriate.' Something is always better than nothing. His favourites were the dictionaries.

Learning the words to label things made him feel more real. Because he could identify the world outside of his containment pod, he should must be able to fit in there somewhere. But now there was just silent anticipation and the blood red sun.

Abruptly the fox stopped, ears twitching violently as if she could hear something. But there was nothing in sight.

The fox shook violently and collapsed. Tom ran over to her. Dehydration he thought as the fox was contracted into a ball of fur. The tiny body jolted with sporadic convulsions.

Tom tried to pin the fox down, to stop her from moving but she leapt up then bolted towards the nearest rock, before collapsing once again, behind it. It'll need some sort of liquid he thought Or my way to get home will be ruined.

Reluctantly, he offered his wrist to the fox - blood being the only clean liquid he had. Though the fox ignored him. "Take it for god's sake. Before I change my mind!" He cursed the fox for being so stupid and went to guide her mouth to his wrist. But her jaws were locked in place.