"Morning Routine"

"Morning Routine"

He was the first to wake up. He stared aimlessly at the white speckled ceiling watching as a ray of sunlight slowly began to creep across the room. A rap of light slapped over his eyes making him cringe from the blinding sun. He turned away, rubbing his eyes as he went on his side, going to something much more pleasant to his sore eyeballs.

Beside the fox was his beautiful wife Judy, sleeping peacefully. She was curled up underneath the covers. Her ears were flopped over her cheeks, almost caressing her sculpted cheeks. She was the one who usually gets up before him but in these rare moments, he had the chance to wake her. In his own fun way.

She nuzzled her pillow, letting out a breathe of full bliss. Nick's nose wiggled as he was only a few inches away from her mouth. Making it easier to lean in. He felt her stir right away while his lips danced over her mouth. She softly groaned stirring him on. He took the chance to close the small gap between them and wrapped his arms around her. Her eyelids began to move, almost trying to force her to wake up. Her lips parted making him give her a more passionate wake up call. He jerked his body forward wanting to capture her. Unknowingly sliding right over something hiding under the covers.

A high pitched yelp made Nick jump back, almost falling off the bed while Judy eyes snapped open. Her arms immediately wrapping around a struggling round ball protectively.

"The baby!" She gasped. She tossed the blanket aside as she sat up. In her arms was a three month old fox pup, clutching his tail while crying into his mother's bosom. Nick had completely forgotten that the baby was sleeping in between them. The small pup was clutching its tail while Judy bounced him gently who whirled at Nick. "You hurt his tail!"

"I-I'm sorry I forgot he was there! I didn't see them!" He exclaimed, stammering his words while the pup cried louder. Judy ran her thumb over her son's cheek, shushing him gently.

"It's okay sweetie, you're okay...how could you forget?" She demanded when she turned back to Nick, holding the baby closer to her. She was patting his back trying desperately to calm him.

"I-I didn't see him! I thought he was in his crib!" He yelled, motioning to the white crib at the end of the bed. If he saw his son, he wouldn't have rolled right onto of his sensitive tail.

"Oh Nick I can't believe you!" She said angrily removing herself off of the bed and heading into the bathroom. She needed to assist in the damage. Baby fox tails are extremely fragile and it would prove disastrous if the little bones are broken or misaligned. Leading to a crooked tail or worse. Having a removal.

Nick ran his paws down the back of his head when he followed her. Sweating at the thought that he had injured their new son after just barely adopting him two months prior.

The small fox pup wiggled against his mother's arms and his constricting green onesie, fussing against her as she tried to remove his tail out of his mouth.

"Please sweetheart I just need to see it!" She begged him gently as she sat down over the closed toilet seat.

"Ouii! Ouii!" He cried, the tears already staining his bright orange fur. He had his mouth over the tip of his tail refusing to let his mother touch it. Just the sight of seeing him suffer just made her even more angry at Nick, who stood at the doorway with his nails in his teeth. Unsure of what to do.

"Oh!" She huffed, retracting her fingers back from her son's sharp claws. "Look at what you done Nick!"

"How many times do I have to say sorry!" He retorted fighting against his wife's frustration towards him. The pup started to cry louder making Judy's eyes gloss over and Nick's ears lower.

"Sorry is not enough! Just look at him! He won't even let me look at his tail!" She shouted, bouncing her child up and down while also trying to pull his small fluffy tail away. "I-it might be broken!"

"I-it's not broken!" Nick argued, but even he wasn't sure. Their pup shrieked even louder the moment Judy made a grab for his tail. She gasped letting go of it and watching as her son put it back into his mouth.

She pressed her face into her baby's neck, rocking him back and forth. "It is! It is!" She began to cry out. "I should have put him back in his crib! His tail's broken a-and now he might need a cast o-or they might even-!" She hugged her pup closer hearing him wail into her ear. She didn't want to say it. She never wanted to think that it would happen to her precious child. Having his tail cut so young. A fox's source of pride? The trait that made them so special?

Nick went down on his knees, placing a paw on her shaking back while she continued to rock their baby. She was crying alongside their son's wails, sharing in his pain.

"Judy!" Nick called out, rubbing her back trying to soothe her. "Let's look at his tail again! Everything will fine when we make sure!"

She shook her head, refusing to look at him. "N-No! I-I don't want to know!"

"Judy!....whiskers please! Maybe it's nothing, let me just look at him!" Nick put his paws into her arms forcing her chest back when he separated them. Nick found his pup still wailing with the tail in his mouth and with determination, forced his son's small paws away while he removed the tail off of his mouth. That immediately made the pup thrash and kick in protest. Judy had to hold him more firmly as she watched Nick, examined the tail. He put his thumb and index around the middle, feeling the bone as he worked his way down. Knowing it was causing his son discomfort he had to make sure everything was in place, all the way up to its tip.

"W-well?" Judy asked, seeing him brush the tail gently.

He sighed, giving her a small smile. "He's fine, he's fine...just a little bruise I think."

"Are you sure?" She said, she didn't want to get her hopes up. She stroked her son's ears down when Nick nodded. Judy gave out a shaky breathe of relief. She gave her crying son a small nuzzle in his neck, finally hearing his cries slowly die down. She glance back at his tail. "B-but maybe we should take him to the doctor, just to be sure."

She blinked when Nick brushed her lingering tears aside with his thumb. "He's fine, don't worry..." His touch made her slowly calm down.

"B-but, just make an appointment, I want to make sure."

"Okay. Okay." Nick said, giving in. It was for the best, he didn't want her to worry about their pup anymore. Also deep down, he wanted to make sure their son's tail is alright.

He grabbed his phone from the dresser with Judy waited silently on the bed, holding the small tail down to avoid their fussing pup's paws. His cries finally died down into soft whimpering, his large green eyes staring up into his mother's eyes. Judy gently gave him a kiss on the forehead, making the pup gurgle in response.

"Hello, this is an emergency I just need to make an appointment with Dr. Quillington?...." Nick began. "Yes, I have a pup and...his tail is hurt, we just want to make sure it's fine...yes, for today...alright 10:00 is good, thank you." They were both happy to know that their son's tail was fine and they both decided to keep their son, Nicholas Jr, in his crib.