"Whatever. Could you just apologize so I can forgive you? It's too hard being mad at you." I say rolling my eyes. "I know. It's because I'm irresistible." he says, trailing his hands down his torso again. "Just be quiet and apologize." I say. "Fine. I'm sorry I stood you up for lunch. Would you like to eat now?" he asks. "No I ate by myself. I was going hungry." I say and he laughs. "Alright, I guess I'll skip lunch today for you." he says.

"How sweet." I say sarcastically. "It is! A growing boy like me needs his food!" he replies as we walk outside. "You don't want to get even fatter, do you?" I counter. "I'm not fat!" he replies. "OK." I say and turn to him. I poke his stomach, but my finger stops. It's like I've poked a solid rock. I look up at him, all humor leaving my voice. "Told you I'm not fat." he says, smirking again. That smirk...it drives me crazy. I think to myself. "Yeah, I guess you aren't. But just wait till you hit thirty-five. I bet you'll have a beer belly." I say laughing.

"What are you trying to say?" he asks. "That the handsome guys in high school don't always stay so handsome." I say, remembering and shuddering at my mom's story about her high school crush, who was, and I quote, "a total hunk," but was fat and bald at their reunion.

"That's not my case. I'll be sexy even when I'm eighty-five." he says, looking off into the distance as if he's thinking of a picture. All I can see is a wrinkly old man in a speedo. Ew.

After talking for a few more minutes and walking around the outside part of the school, the bell rings and we go back inside. I go to my locker, still talking to Luke, and get my books for my last two classes.

"Do you need a ride home today?" he asks. "Um, yeah sure. That's nice of you to offer." I say, clutching my books to my chest, trying to hide my blush. "Cool. I have to go. I'll see you after last period." he says and turns left as I turn right. I walk to my next class, thinking about how much I wish Luke would just ask me to prom. He knows I don't have a date, I know he doesn't have a date, and it doesn't have to be like a 'date,' it could just be as friends. At least we wouldn't be going alone.

But we wouldn't be going alone anyway. I would have Zoey and Luke would have Tyler and Dylan. But then again, Dylan is probably going with Alyssa and Tyler is probably going with Aubree. Ugh, this is so confusing.

After class, I meet Luke in the parking lot in front of his car and get in. The ride home isn't quiet, but prom isn't brought up once. There's only one awkward pause after Luke makes a joke and I finish laughing. "Hey Ariel?" he asks, stopping the car at the red light and looking over at me. "Yeah?" I say. "Can I ask you something?" he asks. "Sure." I say, a little confused.

"Um, well, will you...uh..." he stutters out, but the light turns green before he can finish. "The light's green." I say, whipping my head away from Luke and to the light. He looks at the light too and steps on the gas pedal, speeding away from the light as if he was speeding away from what he was about to ask me.

He doesn't try to ask me something again. We arrive at my house two minute later, and I see a large package on the front steps of the house. "Oh the dresses are here!" I say with excitement, nearly forgetting to thank Luke for driving me home. "What do they look like?" he asks, actually sounding interested. "You can find that out at prom." I tell him. I jump out of the car and thank him quickly before slamming the door closed and running up to the house.

I pick up the package and drag it inside. It's kind of heavy. "Watcha got there?" Cameron asks me while leaning against the doorway of the kitchen. "Can't talk. I need to try on my dress!" I yell to him as I run up the stairs. I rip open the package, excitement soaring through me. I pull out the first plastic package and set it aside. I'll have to ask Cameron to drive me to the hospital later so I can show Zoey her dress.

I find my dress in its packaging and take it out of the plastic slowly. I spread it out on my bed and then undress. I slip into it and then put on the shoes I plan on wearing, leaving my hair down. Then I walk over to my full length mirror and gasp when I see my reflection. It's perfect. It fits perfectly and it looks amazing and I love it.

I dress back into the clothes I was wearing earlier, grab Zoey's dress, and then run down the stairs. "Oh, I wanted to see it." Cameron says. "I'll show it to you later. Can you drive me to the hospital so I can show Zoey her dress?" I ask. "Sure." he says, standing up and walking outside. I follow him to his car and he drives to the hospital.

When we arrive, Cameron decides to come inside with me. "Why?" I ask. "I need to ask Zoey something." he says. I can't for the life of me figure out what he would need to ask Zoey, but I let it go. We get to her room and thankfully she's not sleeping. "Ariel what are you doing here?" she asks. I pull the dress out from behind me. "Is that my dress?" she asks, sitting up. "Yes!" I say, bringing it over to her.

I sit in the chair next to her and watch her open it. I hold it up for her so she can see it better. "It's beautiful." she says. "Will you help me try it on?" she asks. "Of course." I say. I help her out of bed and follow her to the little bathroom in her room. She takes off her hospital gown and puts the dress on. Then she walks to the mirror that hangs above the sink. The mirror's a bit cloudy, but she can still see herself in her dress. "I love it." she says. "Thank you so much." she says, turning around and giving me a big hug. "You're welcome." I say, hugging her back.

We walk out of the bathroom to show Cameron, and his jaw drops when he sees Zoey. "You look beautiful." he says with a smile. Zoey blushes heavily. "Which reminds me why I came up here with Ariel. I have something to ask you." he says, walking towards Zoey. He takes one of her hands in his and kisses the top of it. She continues to blush.

"Will you do me the honor of going to Oceanside High School's Annual Senior Prom with me?"

So that's what he wanted to ask her.

Her jaw drops and she looks shocked. "Um, uh..." she stutters. All Cameron can do is smile. I elbow Zoey in the side and whisper "Just say yes!"

She blushes and then nods. "Yes." she keeps smiling and he leans forward and gives her a kiss on the cheek. She squeals.

Yeah, it's weird seeing my brother kiss my best friend on the cheek, but if Zoey's happy, I'm happy. Cameron and I leave after a while so Zoey can get some sleep. I take the dress back home with me so I can get the wrinkles out. We agreed that I would come to the hospital after I showered and got my hair done on the day of prom so Zoey and I could get ready together.

Now, the only two people that didn't have a date for prom were Luke and I. I wasn't sure if I even wanted him to ask me anymore, but that wasn't a problem. He wasn't going to ask me, and I just had to face it. Maybe I could get a dance. Or maybe I would be sitting in the corner.

But I don't want to think about me sitting in the corner alone at prom. I would rather think about Zoey and I dancing and having fun.

When I get home, I shower, eat dinner, and then go to bed. I'm so tired from today that all I want to do is sleep. The presentation, getting angry with Luke, forgiving Luke, him driving me home, getting the dresses, and visiting Zoey. I was ready to go to sleep, but the one thing that was still on my mind as I closed my eyes and pulled the covers up to my chin, was Luke.

But you know, that was sort of a given.