Chapter 2: Rufus the 'Bum'

Clea jumped onto the streets with a giddy grin. What a great day! Sure, she got a shitty fortune told to her, but she got a ring out of it! Well, she shouldn't say the fortune was all that bad. That woman- what was her name? Boquieta? Taquito? Whatever, that fortune teller told her she would have bachelors in the future. Clea just has to weed out the worthless ones and find the high class men!

"Bad luck my-!" Clea squeaked as her foot caught in a crack and she tumbled forward onto the ground, which in turn scrapped her knee. Clea groaned as she tried to stand back up, but stumbled a bit. She looked down and cursed as she saw her heel broke off her shoes.

"These were new too," she whimpered. She struggled to get up and picked up her broken heel. "It's alright, I can fix this later," Clea said with a laugh, trying to bring up her bad mood.

A crack of thunder then sounded and rain began to pour down.

"You've gotta be kidding me! It's in the middle of July!" Clea shrieked.

A man then ran past Clea and swiped her handbag from her arm. Her eyes widened as she watched him speed past her with her expensive bag.

"Hey! That's priceless! And that's the last gift my ex gave me!"

She tried her best to run after him with one heel broken. All the while screaming for help. Lucky, there were two cops ahead of her and the robber. They look up and noticed the commotion. Both men then grabbed her robber as he tried to run past them.

Out of breath, and soaked to the bone, Clea caught up to the coppers and her robber. She sneered at the man who was restrained by the cops. His face was concealed by a hoodie over his face, but she could see his blond beard. Clea grabbed her bag from his hands and quickly hid it from the rain under her jacket.

"I can't believe this, if this bag has any damage I'll sue you!" she yelled.

One of the cops looked to her and the robber.

"He attempted to steal your bag?"

"Yes, ran right past me and took it from my arm."

"Alright, looks like you're going to have to come with us," he said.

The cop then took the hood off his face. Clea raised an eyebrow at the man. He was pretty handsome, if he took a shower and maybe cut his beard there would be a diamond under there. His blue eyes wouldn't look up at her and his blond hair obscured some of his facial features.

"Hm, you have your looks going for you," Clea said before turning and walking to the nearest store to get an umbrella. But, she stopped as she heard the cops behind her talk to him.

"Well, look at this! Rufus, how are ya?" one said.

"You look like shit," the other laughed.

"A think a special case like you deserves special treatment from us."

Clea glanced back and saw the cops dragging her robber into an alley. She grew goosebumps at the sight. What was that about? Wait, why is she thinking about this? She should just head home and find out some way to sell that ring Taquita gave her. Yeah, just pretend nothing happened!
 Clea took a step forward and flinched as she heard a grunt came from the alley and another laugh. She looked up to the sky, almost asking why. Dammit, she is a hundred percent sure this is an effect of her bad luck. And her goddamn conscience.