Chapter 27 The Fallen Ones

You and Jack were walking for hours.

The endless pine forest that surrounded you from every possible corner continued to tower above you like a silent enemy who waited for the perfect opportunity to strike you both dead, as you made your way further and further inside of it, with you following close behind Jack. The shadows that lurked around the tree trunks appeared darker than they should be, considering the fact that the sun was still high on the cloudy firmament, offering his strong rays of light in abundance. You had absolutely no idea where you were going. Trusting the man completely, you allowed him to walk in front of you, following a certain path that only he could see and with your feet sinking on the purely white snow underneath. And most importantly, you asked no questions whatsoever. The penetrating cold was piercing through your clothes and reaching all the way down to your very own bones, freezing you with the passing seconds and making you deploy all of your willpower as to not allow your teeth to clatter with one another; it was a task easier said than done and in a desperate attempt to warm yourself up, you had wrapped your hands safely around your form. You could as well hug Jack for some warmth... that was if only the man didn't have a dark, ominous aura surrounding his tall figure and his body was more relaxed, something that right now, was the last thing you would say about the man.

You didn't have to be a medium to know what he was thinking.

Clearly, the news about your very limited lifespan hit the man like a concrete wall straight to the face; it wasn't all too easy to hear that you had found your best friend in the whole wide world in order to lose her permanently a few months later. So it was only natural for him to be pissed off. As for your point of view, you wanted to start running with all your might and continue running until either your heart gives out or your feet can't keep you up anymore; inside all of this situation, and especially after what happened in the last 24 hours, you couldn't help but think that you were the cause of Jack's misfortune in the very first place. If it wasn't for you, he wouldn't have to move out of the mansion, he wouldn't have to be exiled from his every own home that accepted him after the alteration of his nature and most importantly, he wouldn't have to be broken when you would finally die; he wouldn't have to watch you die.

All those thoughts were running wild inside your mind, filling all the empty voids and echoing as hard as a wolf's howl in the moon, making you struggle to focus on walking, until at one point, you could no longer do it.

'Jack wait...' you spoke up breathlessly and stopped on your tracks 'We can't go on anymore.'

He didn't even turn to look at you as he spoke 'The house is a bit further away ____. We cannot stay out in the open, so be patient and walk.'

His voice sounded so cold, that triggered a sob to rise from your chest, almost choking you in the process 'This is not what I meant and you know it. We have to talk.' You insisted.

Instead of continuing to walk, Jack froze on his tracks; you watched the man as he seized all of his movements and his whole posture became as stiff as a statue, terrifying you for a split second, as you could practically see him turn and charge against you, wrapping his hands around your neck and snapping it as easily as he would snap a twig. Yet the man remained nailed right where he was, not moving, not speaking, not even breathing.