Chapter 1 Memories Of You

"The truth." Dumbledore sighed. "It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution."  ~J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone 

There is no person that love cannot heal; there is no soul that love cannot save.~Carlos Santana 

When my time comes, forget the wrong that I've done, help me leave behind some reasons to be missed...And don't resent me, and when you're feeling empty.......Keep me in your memory, leave out all the rest...~Linkin Park Leave Out All The Rest 

Memories are bullets. Some whiz by and only spook you. Others tear you open and leave you in pieces. ~ Richard Kadrey, Kill the Dead

 The little girl whimpered loudly, her tiny hands wrapped around her legs tightly, as if she was trying to keep her little self together. Loud sobs reverberated from deep within her little chest, as tears fell freely from her bright (e/c) orbs.

A small thump was heard and the boy kneeled himself beside the little girl 'It happened again?' his voice asked. The girl only nodded.

'Lemme see it.' The boy insisted, resting his hand on her back, rubbing it to ease her pain a little bit.

Sobbing a little more, the small girl raised her adorable face that was laced with a sizable blue and purple bruise that stretched all the way from the corner of her eye, till her little mouth, only to meet with the sweet, sky blue eyes of the boy.

The moment his eyes fall on the bruise, his hands fly around the little girl, hugging her with all the power an eleven-year-old boy had, as she started crying against his small chest 'It's okay. Don't cry. I promise you, once we're older, we're going to run away together. I promise you.'

~*~

It was a sunny day as always.

The bright sun had long ago climbed the beautiful and clear sky, shedding his light upon the surface of the earth, illuminating the place up with his strong rays of light, giving the whole world a tint of happiness and relaxation. Not a single cloud could be seen, even in the far distance, to threaten the majestic light that descended the earth, as the glorious last days of summer lasted. Still, there was a nice and cooling breeze that waved the grass and the leaves around, allowing any living thing on the planet not to mind the heat so much, and take a deep, relieving breath of fresh air and enjoy the day to the fullest.

It was one of those days that families would go out on long walks, their children playing merrily and the parents chatting away among them, or the days were groups of friends would chose to go to the beach and spend their day enjoying the refreshing waters, or sunbathing all day long on the hot, golden sand. It was indeed a day for nothing else but relaxation.

But not for everybody.

Air was whipping your hair hard behind you, as you raced through the vast fields full of grass and tall pine trees with your , making your way for the first time towards your college. The engine of the car was humming happily as you pushed the accelerator more and more, the roof fallen back, enabling you to enjoy the luxurious sun as you drove. The voice of the lead singer of My Chemical Romance sounded loudly from the radio, as the song Teenagers played.

It was really the end of summer and the beginning of the new school year. Despite the difficulties your 'family' posed you, you had managed to win a special scholarship at one particular college and thankfully, with the help of your grandmother and the bank account your deceased father left you –to your total surprise- you were able to start your new life. You knew that it wouldn't be easy, as life is never easy for you, but you were preparing yourself for this for four years. And you were not going to give up now.

Even if you were just nineteen years old, you had seen way too much of the world around you than you would like. Being threatened that if you didn't help around, you would have been forced to drop out of school, you were occupied by walking around town along with your step-father Jake and making a living by singing every single day after school. Boy, how much you loved to sing... but Jake wasn't the kind of guy you would like to be around with. What you made every day was barely enough to get you through the day and allow you to pay the bills. But it was all you had. Correction. It was all they had. You had nothing other than just a mattress where you slept and a computer that you called 'gramp-puter'.

But it was okay, now everything was settled and you were away from the hell-house.

Your father's mother, your grandmother, managed to come in contact with you many years after your father's death –he died when you were merely six and thirteen years later when she learnt from a friend that you had won a scholarship. Your mother had taken you away and refused her to ever come in contact with you, despite the desperate pleads of your grandmother. Luckily though, through your gramp-puter, she had managed to come in contact with you again and both of you arranged a day that you would meet in secret. Needless to say, that from the few memories you had of her, you knew she was kind and when you met her, the same feeling of safety that you were deprived from all these years had gotten back. She said that she would help you out with anything you needed and gave you the number of the account your father kept secret, gathering money for your studies.

So with the account at hand and fed up with your life at home, you ran away one night, gathering all your belongings into a single suitcase and running off to your grandmother's house. And with that account, you were able to afford this car, your phone, new clothes and everything you never had.

So, completely equipped, you were making your way to your college, ready to put your plan in action.

Because this, wasn't just a regular college.

This was the college, your childhood friend Jack attended. West Point College.

Ever since you first remember yourself, you had one and only friend; Jack. He was a boy that lived just beside your own house and was too quiet and calm for his own good. Even if he was four years older than you, the both of you were always seen together, playing and having fun all by yourselves. His calm nature and your hot-bloodied self matched rather well and you were best friends from the moment your eyes met. And you shared more than just your toys. Both of your families were the 'poisonous' types, for different reasons, but they still were. So, you only had one another to keep you going and fighting, supporting and protecting one another. Jack had promised you that he would take care of you no matter what, so after he was done with his college years, you and him would run away to start a normal life somewhere where you would really be yourselves.

That was, until four years ago.

One day, you woke up to find the news report saying about a strange cult that had killed a group of people right where Jack's college was. The fear that had penetrated you was nothing compared to what you felt when the news continued on to say that another boy, named Jack Nichols had gone missing the very same night.

The world was lost in mere seconds under your feet.

He had gone missing.

Going over to his house and talking with his parents and even going as far as asking some policemen about it and searching through the internet, it was evident to you that no one really wanted to find him. They stupidly said that he probably ran away or was the one that killed the teenagers, but you knew better. You knew that Jack wouldn't leave without taking you along or at least saying something. And you were devastated to find out that they dropped the investigation.

So you took matters into your own hands.

Studying like crazy for four years, you managed to pass at the very same college. You had gathered all possible clues about his case and even went as far as contacting his roommate. The police and his parents might not want to find him, but you will. You will find him no matter what happens to you. You had sworn it to yourself that very same day.

Parking your car skillfully at the parking lot next to your dorm, you get out, and with a quick look to make sure your were okay, you open the rear truck, bending to get the last box with your stuff. By doing so though, a round of wolf whistles sounded from behind you, along with some 'dayyym girl' which you totally ignored, locking the car and making your way proudly to your dorms.

Looking around you, you don't fail to notice that the scenery is amazing. The dorms are placed near the forest, giving the place a vibe of both relaxation and creepiness, since no matter the bright sun that shone above you, the forest is still holding on to its shadows, that were lurking around the tall tree trunks. The boys' dorm is right across from the girls' dorm, and the closest to the forest. Eyeing the trees behind your sunglasses, you wonder if there was a path among the big bushes and the freesias that protruded literally from every possible corner. There must be a path hidden there. The police report said that they followed a path that was on the right from the dorms.

Averting your gaze to your path once again, you sigh loudly. Jack, what did you get yourself into?

Pushing the glass doors open, you check your little note and after some minutes, you locate your dorm room that, thankfully, is looking towards the huge glass partition that had a clear view in the front yard of the dorms and towards the boys' dorm.

Fishing your keys from your pocket, you unlock the door and pass on your . You were lucky that your grandmother had arranged things, so that all your stuff were already in place and waiting for you. Scanning the place with your eyes, you allow yourself a small smile. The room was exactly like you wanted it to. It was good that you would have no roommate, even if the room was relatively smaller than all the other ones. That way, you would avoid unnecessary questions.

Throwing the box next to your bed, you plop down on the soft mattress, lying on your back and sighing loudly, you gaze on the ceiling, your thoughts quickly drifting to Jack and all the clues and information you had gathered. It was going to be one long search for him, but you were prepared. Either way, you were planning on taking criminology classes, so they might as well help you in your search. Without taking your gaze from the ceiling, as if you looked into it too much it would reveal you all the secrets of the universe, you reach to your pocket and draw out another small paper. Inside, you had written Jack's roommate's name and the number of the room he stayed. You were going to pay him a visit, right about.....you look at the clock....now.

Rising on your feet, you stuff the paper inside your pocket once again and grabbing your keys, you go out, locking the door behind you. Looking around you, the dorms are now full of people that are coming and going at their leisure, paying no attention to you at all, a thing that helps you out a lot. You always tried to blend in and become a wallflower as soon as you could, because it meant no problems, so after so many years, you were a total pro into blending in. Girls were coming and going, others dragging their boyfriends along with them, others in large groups, all laughing and teasing each other, already planning their first weekend together, or sunbathing on the lawn. Paying no attention to them, you walk across the street, opening the glass door and entering the other dorm. Your ears have an automatic reaction and block out all the noise that your presence brings along, stopping all the whistles and comments that sound from every possible corner. God, you roll your eyes, boys never grow up do they? Following the numbers near every door, you are lead down a long corridor, stopping right in front of a dark wooded door. Raising your hand and preparing to knock, you stop in midair, your hand hovering inches away from the door, as your eyes fall in the small board under the room number.

There, was Jack looking back at you.

Well, not literally.

You gazed upon the piece of paper, the face of your best friend smiling to the camera, with his blue eyes once again filled with kindness. You remember that photo. You were the one that took it in the first place. Under the photo, where the words 'missing' in bright red, bold letters and his information underneath. You inhaled a sharp breath, your heart tightening dangerously inside your chest, giving you a sharp pain. You avert your eyes once again to the door and knock, trying to get the photo off your head.

'Comin'!' a male voice sounded from within.

The door opens in front of you, only to reveal a blonde boy from behind it.

He was tall, standing well at the height of 5' 9', towering well above you, with the body of a football player, being so buff, you immediately felt intimidated. His face was somehow childish though, with only a strong jawline to reveal his age and the few whiskers along his cheeks. He had chocolate brown eyes and tanned skin, that made him look like a lobster, rather than the healthy tan. The other thing that you detected though, was that despite the fact that his eyes were bright, they held inside a tint of sadness and sorrow, and due to that, some faint wrinkles had made their early appearance underneath them. It was as if this man grew old in one single night.

'How may I help you sweetheart?' he asked, his accent slightly heavy.

'Are you...Greg?' you say, pulling the note from your pocket.

The man sighs and leans on the door frame, crossing his arms above his chest 'The one and only.'

'I'm _______. I'm Jack's friend; we spoke on the phone.' You simply say.

The moment you look back into his eyes, the feeling of sadness had expanded, completely consuming the man's eyes and mind. His bottom lip trembles a little bit, as his lips part 'O-Oh, you're ______. Nice to meet you.' you shake hands 'Come on in.'

He makes way for you and thanking him you pass inside the room.

It was your typical boy's room, with videogames and clothes thrown everywhere and two beds. The one on the right had covers and pillows, the other one was completely empty.

Your heart tightened.

'So, u-um, Jack had told me a lot 'bout you. How you grew up together and all. Please have a seat.' He points to one of the chairs, but instead, you sit down on the empty bed.

'Really?' you say as he sits across from you 'You two were close?'

'Yeah, roomies and all, we were pals. Jack wasn't really the kind to make a lot of friends.' His tone was sad, but he nonetheless tries to smile to you, giving you and unsure smile, the best he could pull.

'I know.' You say looking around and then at Greg 'If you don't mind I would like to ask you about that night. Of course, if you want to.' Your gaze fixes on him.

'O-Of course! I would really like to help. What do you wanna know?'

'Everything.' You reply bluntly 'Sorry if I sound weird, but I want to have a clear picture.' You give him a small smile.

His eyes widen 'It's okay, don't worry. I know you really want to find him. The police didn't even ask me anything. So let's start wi-'

'If you don't mind, it would be better to talk somewhere else. You never know who is listening from the rooms next-door.' You smile again.

'Yeah, you're probably right. How 'bout we go for a coffee in about two hours from now?' he suggests, a small smile lacing his face.

'That would be great!' you stand up 'I'll be waiting outside the dorms.'

'Before you go though.' He says and beckoning you to wait, he walks to the closet.

Opening it, he pulls a box from the bottom and comes back towards you. As you take it in your hands, you notice that it has Jack's name in the corner. Your jaw clenches tightly and your mind goes blank. When Greg speaks, it's as if you are listening to him through water.

'These are some of Jack's stuff. The police left them here, so I thought you might want them.' The blonde said, but the only response he took, was complete silence.

The whole world had disappeared from around you. Everything had grown silent and you were left standing there in the complete void, holding on the only things that revealed that Jack was real. That he was really here at some point and not just a fraction of your imagination of him. He existed. And now, on your hands, where the only evidence that he was really here. A sharp pain penetrated your heart, growing bigger and bigger with the passing moments, but you payed no attention to it. These were Jack's stuff. They were his. It was the closer you had gotten to him in the last four years. And you missed him. You sure as hell missed that tall-!ss, stupid man more than anything in this world. Tears bubbled on the edges of your eyes and you tried to blink them away. You just couldn't let go of that box not even for a split second. You were holding on to it for dear life.

'Hey ______.' Greg tried to get your attention 'Are you okay girl?'

You nod 'Y-yeah I'm fine.'

'You sure?' he eyes you.

'I said yes.' You reply harshly, your angry (e/c) orbs throwing daggers at him.

'Okay, okay. Then, I'll see you in two hours. Deal?' he says opening the door for you.

'Yeah, deal.'

You leave the dorm, almost running on your heels.

Reaching your room, you fling the door open, throwing the box carelessly next to the other one. You slam the door shut and rush to your purse, opening it and flipping it over, with all its contents falling on the desk. You search for the white bottle frantically, finally catching it in your fingers, you open it in a mere second, taking three pills from within and throwing them in your mouth, you swallow them hard. Breathing heavily, you feel your heart calm down from its frantic beat slowly but steadily. That was a close call.

Sighing, you grab a pair of new clothes and go in the bathroom. All you need right now is a calming shower.

Stripping from your clothes, you enter the shower and turn the faucet on, allowing the hot water to calm your nerves down. You close your eyes and try to calm down by inhaling deeply. It was a close call that one. From now on it's better to walk around with your pills in your bag, since your condition seems to worsen and all the looking around for Jack will do you no good. If you flip out with just a box of clothes, what will happen if you stumble upon real evidence? No, no you can't afford that. In other thoughts, you are currently curious on what Greg will tell you. You had read his testify for the police, but the men in charge didn't ask a lot of questions. Or rather didn't ask anything. So you had to be careful. You must not trust anyone, as long as you don't have concrete evidence for them.

Going out of the shower, you dry yourself off with a towel and change into new , walking inside your room and switching the stereo on, turning the volume up. You just have a few minutes for yourself before you meet up with Greg, so you open up your box, shoving Jack's stuff under the bed to forget about them till you get back and proceed to add the final details around your room, making it look cozy. Well, to be honest, anything other than just a mattress would make the whole place lit up for you. But this is a conversation for another time.

Looking at your clock, you realize that it's about time to meet with Greg. Grabbing your stuff, you exit the room, locking the door behind you. As you lock, you notice some random girls standing on the door next to yours and are staring at you, not so discreetly. Paying no attention to them whatsoever, you walk outside, only to find Greg already waiting for you, sitting on the sidewalk, facing the girls' dorm. You wave at him and when you reach him, both of you make your way towards the cafeteria of the campus.

The place is full of people, other exercising and others simply having fun and chatting away. The cafeteria is somewhat full, with many people sitting on the small tables that decorated the lawn in front of the café, and choosing your own spot, Greg goes off to fetch both of you some coffee. Looking around you, you make sure that no one is close enough to overhear your impending conversation and when you make sure no one is watching you, you set your phone into the voice recording, resting it screen down on the middle of the table, playing it cool as Greg is coming back with the iced coffees.

'Here you go doll. With five spoons of sugar.' Greg offers you your coffee.

'Thank you.' you smile kindly.

He eyes you suspiciously as he sits down across from you 'Can't help it; how the hell do you drink that? With so much sugar?!'

You laugh as you take a small sip 'It's the exact same thing Jack asked me every time.' you chuckle 'Guess I have a terrible sweet tooth.'

Greg laughs 'I've heard all the horror stories.'

'And I assure you they are far worse than what Jack told you.' you smile evilly.

'I can imagine. Since when do you know Jack?'

You shrug 'Since I was...probably six years old. My father had just died when his family moved next doors.'

'Sorry to hear that gorgeous.' His sincere tone gives you a smile.

'It's okay. But, let's get down to business.' You lean forward, looking deep into his brown eyes with your (e/c) own 'Tell me exactly what happened the night Jack disappeared.'

He signs 'Let's see. It was late at night. We had gone to sleep with a storm coming our way. You got to see that at least once to know, sugar; storms here are dangerous as hell. Anyways. 'Round two o' clock, a loud thunder shook me awake. I groaned and stood up, only to make sure that the windows were closed. But as I checked the window, I noticed two things; first, the storm hadn't started yet and two; there was a f*cking fire within the forest. Of course, I was worried because there was no way in hell that fire appeared on its own; someone must have lit it, mark my words, so I tried waking up Jack. I shook him once, twice, nothing. On my third try, he woke up, grumpy 'nd all, so convincing him to look out the window, he realized I wasn't fooling around. I remember him saying that the fire was close to where freak-Jenny and her pals were hanging out all the time, so we should go and check it out. I was sure that he had f*cking lost his mind! I told him that chick was reading way too much of freaky books about cults and that he shouldn't go. But you know how stubborn he can be. I remember that the last words I told him were that curiosity killed the cat. Killed it!' at that moment, he stopped, his eyes watery from the flooding memories.

You watched him closely, as he took a sip from his coffee and swallowed hard.

'It's okay if you don't want to continue.' You say softly, but he just nods negatively.

'I have to tell it to someone sugar, or I'll never sleep again. When he was gone, I stayed up waiting for him. One hour, two, three, four. The storm came and went, so when the sun started coming up, I decided that I had enough and I had to find the dude, right now. So I followed the path I saw him disappear in, until I reached the cave. And holy mother of flying sh!t, what I saw will haunt me forever. All of them, all four people that hanged with Jenny were slaughtered. Like animals. Guts and blood where everywhere! Jenny was still alive, but barely, and Jack was nowhere to be found. The whole place was a cult horror scene. I don't know man, I still see that place even now, four years later. After that, me and my girlfriend Gabby took a whole year off college. I just couldn't get them out of my f*cking mind.' He sighed, downing the rest of his coffee.

'And Jack was nowhere to be seen again?' you ask calmly.

'Nah, never seen or heard from again. He disappeared into thin air.' He gave you a weary smile.

'And what about that girl Jenny? You said she was alive.'

He gives out an ironic cough 'It's all that b!tch's fault, mark my words. She survived, but she kinda went crazy and was locked up. She hanged around Jack suspiciously much.'

You tighten your lips, almost forming a straight line. So that was how things were. Maybe Jack was set up on something. If she is still alive, maybe if you track her down, you can find some useful information. As long as you find out where she is. Maybe the newspapers?

'Thank you for telling me that Greg.' You say sincerely, your eyes and strict posture loosening up towards him.

'Not a prob sugar. Jack talked much 'bout you. I owe him to tell you the truth. And I don't mind if you have more questions.'

You smile 'It's okay for now, you really helped me. And I promise you, I'll find him no matter what.'

In your comment, his eyes lighten up as he forms a devious smile 'You know, Jack really liked you, I could tell.'

Your eyes open wide at his comment 'Well of course he would. Or else it would be awkward for me to hang around him all the time.'

'Oh, come on now, sugar, you know what I mean.' He winks, only infuriating you.

'I think it's time for me to go back. I have some things I want to take care of and it's getting really late.' You say, looking at the clock. Time had passed way too quickly and the café was now practically empty, as the sun had gone down long ago.

'Okay, call me if you need anything. I'll introduce you to Gabby and the rest of the gang tomorrow. They'll be glad to meet Jack's girl.' He smiles cockily, only to bounce as your hand lands hard on the wooden table.

'I am not his girl. End of story. And I will be glad to meet them.'

~*~

The moment the door closes behind you, you lean against it, letting out a sigh of relief. It was surely a long day with too much information. But, on the plus side, you had finally started your search and had taken things from the very start. Greg was a big help and you were sure that if you tried enough, you would be able to locate that girl Jenny as well. If she would be in the position to help you though, was a whole other matter. But you would do your best. For Jack.

Changing into your pajamas and taking another two pills, you decide that it was time to rest your weary head for today, but as you make your way and plop yourself to the bed, you remember the box with Jack's stuff.

Leaning under the bed, you pull it out, cutting the tapes fast and proceeding to open it.

The moment your eyes fall on the contents of the box, you immediately feel tears gathering on the edges of your (e/c) orbs, as a sad smile cracks your cold mask you where used to wear everyday with others. There, just before your eyes were Jack's stuff. Silent House that was his all time favorite game, some of his clothes, a leather wristband you had gotten him for his birthday with many Japanese letters engraved on it and finally, a picture of the two of you. You pulled the small framed photo and held it on your hands, sweet memories making their way inside your mind, as you allowed the tears to finally roll down and stain your shorts.

On that plain single piece of paper, was your own face, smiling widely at the camera. You looked so young, barely thirteen years old. Still, looking a little bit closely, you were able to locate a purple and bluish mark on your neck, almost completely hidden by your blouse. Next to you, was none other than Jack, at the age of seventeen, smiling as well, with his arm passed around your shoulders, while with the other one he was flashing the victory sign to the camera. His auburn hair was literally protruding to every direction under his usual black hoodie and his sky blue eyes were full of kindness. From the picture, you could see that you were in a photo booth, maybe somewhere at the local mall of your town. You looked so happy. So happy....

With your tears streaming down your face nonstop, you place the photo carefully on your nightstand. You couldn't believe that he had kept that lousy picture, no matter your unstoppable protests that you looked awful. It gave you a feeling of sweetness and longing though...

Next one, was one of his hoodies.

Totally black and with a large pocket in the front, you always swore that he had millions of these things, since you never –ever- saw him wearing anything else. Your tries to make him wear anything else always fell on deaf ears, so after some time, you finally gave up. This one still smelled like him as well. The faint scent of chocolate, mixed with black pepper reached your nose as soon as you pulled the cloth out.
Now, violent sobs made your whole body shake, as you hugged the lifeless cloth, as if you wished it with all your heart, you would find yourself inside Jack's protective arms. My God how much you missed him. His absence was tearing you apart from the inside, no matter how hard you tried to hide it. It was just too much. Too much for the little you. How could anyone hurt him? How could he just disappear without a single word? Had he forgotten about you? Had something bad happened to him? Why was the only human being that ever took care of you suddenly so far away from you, that no matter how much you tried, you never seemed to reach him? Why was he ripped away from you?

It was the first time you were crying.

Not even when you heard the news did you cry; no, you did something far worse.. or rather your heart did. You wanted to see him. Even for a brief second, you wanted to see him and make sure that he was okay. That he was out there and was okay. You could stomach that. But the idea that he had just vanished, was just too overwhelming for your fragile heart. He was your beloved best friend and you missed him greatly. It was just the two of you against the world and now you were left alone, wandering in the dark with absolutely no one by your side. And darkness can be a real foe. You prayed and prayed every single day for him to come back. To be okay.

To be with you once again.

At some point, you fell asleep, still hugging his hoodie with all your might.

A/N: Can't say that I'm not totally anxious about what you lovely darlings think about the new story, so lemme know your true thoughts and don't hesitate to say that you don't like it if you don't. I'm experimenting with the mystery genre for this one, so I'm pretty worried :/ Anyway, thank you so much for reading, updates come every Saturday (for now at least :3 ) Stay adorable :D