Chapter 1

Double Meaning

"Sorry," Jessica mumbled and turned quickly but couldn't hide the smile that crept onto her face.

He was perfection and she was one of the few lucky people to have had more than a 3-word conversation with him.

His eyes were round and bright and the color of the ocean on the sunniest of days. His pale ivory skin was smooth and baby-soft to the touch. He had full lips complete with perfect, straight teeth which were always as white as a sheet of paper. His honey-golden hair was shaved into the suddenly popular "Fade" haircut. He was flawless in every way, not to mention the dimple that he got on his right cheek every time he smiled.

"You did that on purpose!" Lauren accused.

"Of course I didn't!" Jessica countered but even then, her face lit up like a Christmas tree and a shy smile rested on her lips. Without a doubt, Jessica had a crush on him, and she was completely smitten.

The second bell rang and the girls parted ways with a hug and a promise to meet up by the second building for lunch. What Lauren didn't know, was that Jared's third period class was Business which just so happened to be in the second building.

Luckily, it was relatively close to the cafeteria so she wouldn't look like a creepy stalker when he walked out and saw her there every day.

By the time lunch rolled around, Jessica was a minute and a half away from falling asleep in class. She grabbed her purse and raced out the door.

The Business teacher was a mean-spirited old lady with "sharpie-brows" so big they just about reached her gradually retreating hairline. She always held them back for a minute or so until they were all dead silent with their faces contorted in pain from being kept back from their half hour of freedom a second longer than required.

Some brave souls have complained about that to the office but they've said that she's done nothing against the rules and can keep them there for up to 15 whole minutes. Once they realize that they are powerless against "Medusa," they return back to class, humiliated and rejected.

She pulled out her phone and checked to see if anyone had texted her. Nope. Lauren wasn't here and Jessica pretended to look for her in the crowd of people so that she wouldn't look as much of a loner.

Her head whipped around quickly once the Business began students racing out of the building. She cast her gaze downward and to the side until she knew he was about to come by. He was always the last one out.

Jessica raised her head and made eye contact with him, tucking her hair behind her ear meekly. He sent her a small smile which she returned, trying to ignore her racing heart.

"Jess!" Lauren bounded up to her and Jessica snapped out of her trance.

"Yeah?"

Lauren grabbed her bony wrist and dragged her away from any prying ears and Jessica knew this was about her crush, Flynn. Relatively popular, relatively average appearance, out-of-this-world body, relatively nice personality.

"I just found out that Flynn likes me!" She bounced up and down excitedly, like a 6 year old who was just told that he was going to get ice cream.

"Wow! That's great! How do you know?" I hugged my best friend, sharing her excitement. She's liked Flynn since he asked her to borrow a pencil in 8th grade.

"Okay. Last period, Diana thought it would be funny to tell Flynn I liked him because she overheard my conversation with Hanna. Turns out, he likes me too! He's going to ask me out tomorrow but I'm not sure about that since Diana was the one that told me." Her voice rose an octave on the last sentence and she let out a strangled squeal of joy.