Early Days

The department was quiet as Connie wandered in with Jacob. "I don't know, I think it would make a good day out-" "Okay, you can go on your own while I take Grace somewhere." He smiled putting his arm back around her waist as they wandered inside.

It was a strange sensation. Walking in with Jacob. Walking in with no urgency. Walking in knowing that today, she just focused on the patients. "Con where are you going? I know you're new to this but you know where the staffroom is."

She mocked laughing before wandering away from him. "You really think I'd accept the job without an office?" Jacob rolled his eyes watching her wander down the corridor before heading into the staffroom himself.

By the time Connie reappeared downstairs everyone was gathered around the nurses' station. Elle was standing in front of them beginning to prepare them for the incoming casualties. "Mrs Beauchamp, can you take the first patient with Charlie." Connie stood with her arms folded before nodding as she listened to Elle continue.

She noticed Jacob standing opposite her as he mouthed something across to her. 'Play nice' Connie responded by shrugging her arms and pulling a face before walking towards the entrance with Charlie.

"So then Doctor, how are you finding it?" "Oh you know, finding my feet." Charlie smiled before they both focused on the patient before them. Before she knew it two hours of her shift had passed and she was due a break.

Connie stepped out of resus noticing Hansen leaving the department. She smirked as she wandered past the nurses' station knowing that the look on Elle's face was from whatever he had just told her. "Mrs Beauchamp, got a minute?"

She spun round to face Elle sighing. "Guess that depends on what it is you want." The clinical lead nodded before standing opposite her. "You know, it'd be nice if you treated me like I was your boss seeing as it was you who made this choice."

Connie didn't answer but just looked at her. "Hansen wants the stats from last month on his desk this afternoon-" "I'm sorry but that's not in my job description anymore... boss. I'm sure you'll figure something out."

Elle sighed dropping her hands and wandered away to her office as Connie walked into the staffroom. "Mrs Beauchamp-" "Jacob." He raised an eyebrow walking over to him. "Jacob now is it?" She shook her head smiling as she got a glass of water. "Something you wanted?" "Just you."

Jacob smiled as he stood beside her. "See, being in the staffroom isn't that bad. Getting to know your colleagues and socialising." Connie nodded once before Jacob spoke again. "I'll see you in your office in 5 minutes-" "Yeah." Connie agreed quickly as she walked out of the staffroom leaving Jacob laughing.

As everyone finished their shifts Connie stood in reception waiting for Jacob to come out. "Hey sweet cheeks, you finished?" "Yeah, and I was wandering if you wanted to come round. We were thinking of ordering take out for dinner."

"Sounds like an offer I can't refuse... You sure Grace won't mind?" "She's the one who told me to ask you." "Oh, okay yeah." They left the hospital making the short drive to Connie's before wandering inside.

"Grace I'm home!" Connie walked further into the house as Grace came skipping downstairs. "Hey Mum, did you ask?" Connie nodded with a smile as she realised Grace hadn't looked up yet.

"Sure did firecracker, now tell me that you're with me when I say pizza is the best takeout." "Obviously, duh only a loser would say anything else-" "Excuse me Grace, I am that loser." Connie stood with her hands on her hips as Jacob and Grace looked at each other. "I can live with that-" "Me too, what pizza do you like?"

Connie dropped her hands walking away glad that Grace seemed to be playing nice. "I'll leave you children to order, I'm going to get changed." She walked out of the kitchen but stopped at the bottom of the stairs when she heard Grace talk again.

"Do you love my Mum?" "I love your Mum more than she'll ever know Grace, why?" She put the menu down on the table as she looked at it while talking. "You promise you won't leave her? I can see how happy she is with you."

Jacob sat down beside Grace causing her to look at him. "I promise that I won't leave you or your Mum because she makes me very happy too." "Then I'm happy with you coming round." Connie couldn't help but smile as she wandered upstairs to the bedroom.

She was midway through getting changed when Jacob walked in. "Do you plan on staying like that? Because you won't hear any complaints from me-" "No but my 12 year old daughter might Jacob." He snaked his arms around her bare waist and pressed his lips to her shoulder.

"I heard you two talking down there... So, do you plan on sticking around? Truthfully?" He turned her around to look up at him before he lifted the small heart necklace from her neck into his fingers. "I plan on being so incredibly around that you'll wish you could make me disappear."

Jacob bent down and kissed her gently before pulling back. "By the way, I think Elle really appreciated your help earlier-" "What? She wouldn't have had any help if I'd have left would she?" Jacob laughed shaking his head leaving her to get changed.

Connie sat on the sofa with her head resting on Jacob's shoulder while Grace sat on her other side. "Mum?" "Yes sweetheart?" Connie sat up looking down at her. "Is Jacob staying the night?" "I don't know, why don't you ask him." Connie looked up to him as Grace spoke.

"Well, seeing as you asked Grace I could never say no-" "Can you cook?" Jacob looked past Connie to Grace. "Yeah-" "Good because Mum is horrendous-" "Hey! I am not." Jacob laughed wrapping his arm around her waist. "Hey, lovers of Pizza don't lie to each other..." "Why did I ever think introducing you two would be a good idea."

Connie let her head hang back on the sofa as Jacob smiled kissing her cheek. "I love you-" "I love you too." She turned to kiss him as Grace began making noises. "Right that's it!" Connie turned grabbing Grace's waist causing her to laugh uncontrollably while Jacob watched.

"Jacob! Help!" "I don't know firecracker, your Mum might not be boss anymore but she stills scares me." Grace laughed as Connie continued before Jacob pulled her back slightly giving Grace space to breath before turning on her Mum.

It had been a long time since Connie felt this care free. So it had taken a few turns and took longer than she thought it ever would. But she was finally there, she was finally happy.