The Beginning

(A/N)

Hey guys! This is gonna be one of my first stories on wattpad, so I would like you guys to give it a chance. One of my best friends is helping me write it, anyways hope you like it.

-xxx-

On my flight from Phoenix to Seattle, I was thinking about everything I've been through for the past month. I've been feeling really strange lately; getting annoyed at the tiniest things, shaking every time I get mad. There's something going on, and I just can't put my finger on it. Everything just seems off.

It all started when my mom first told me she was marrying Phil, I got so mad for no reason, and I was convulsing badly. After that, everything turned upside down. Either way I would have to move away from Arizona, and I had two options; move with my mom and Phil to Jacksonville, or move in with my dad, Charlie, in Forks. I really had no problem with Phil, I think my mom deserved a guy, but with two newly-weds, and Phil's career as a baseball player, I would just be a third-wheel.

I decided to move in with Charlie. Even though Forks, Washington is the last place I wanted to be. Compared to the nice warm weather of Arizona, Forks had a constant overcast and sun was a near miracle in that town. The town with a three-digit population. Though, Charlie had really been fairly nice about the whole thing, and for that, I was grateful. He seems genuinely pleased that I was coming to live with him for the first time with any degree of permanence. He'd already gotten me registered for high school and was going to help me get a car. Charlie gave me an awkward, one-armed hug when I stumbled my way off the plane.

"It's good to see you, Bells," he said, smiling as he automatically caught and steadied me. "You haven't changed much. How's Renée?"

"Mom's fine. It's good to see you, too, ...Dad." I stumbled uneasily over the title as I wasn't allowed to call him Charlie to his face.

"I found a good car for you, really cheap," he announced when we were strapped in.

"What kind of car?" I was suspicious of the way he stressed "good car for you" as opposed to just "good car."

"Where did you find it?"

"Do you remember Billy Black down at La Push?" Yes, I thought, the tiny Indian reservation on the coast.

"No."

"He used to go fishing with us during the summer," Charlie prompted. I gave him a blank stare.

"He's in a wheelchair now," Charlie continued when I didn't respond, "so he can't drive anymore, and he offered to sell me his truck cheap."

"What year is it?" I could see from his change of expression that this was the question he was hoping I wouldn't ask.

"Well, Billy's son, Jacob has done a lot of work on the engine - it's only a few years old, really." I nod, and a silence fill the car and neither of us have the courage to break it.

One of the best things about Charlie is he doesn't hover. He left me alone to unpack and get settled, a feat that would have been altogether impossible for my mother. It was nice to be alone, not to have to smile and look pleased; a relief to stare dejectedly out at the window at the sheeting rain and let just a few tears escape. I wasn't in the mood to go on a real crying jag. I would save that for bedtime, when I would have to think about the coming morning.

...

I didn't sleep well that night, even after I was done crying. The constant whooshing of the rain and wind across the roof sounded alien to my ears and the harsh sound wouldn't fade into the background. I pulled the faded old quilt over my head, and later added the pillow, too, but I couldn't fall asleep until after midnight, when the rain finally settled into a quieter drizzle. That didn't put me in a better mood at all. I was sleep deprived and it was my first day at Forks High School. And I didn't know anyone. Great.

-xxx-

Vote, Comment, Fan. :)

-Melissa <3