Chapter Twenty-Three

Start from the beginning

"I suppose you are leaving soon," Cora said from where she sat in a chair by the window, her back to Regina.

"Yes, in a couple of minutes actually. I wanted to come and say goodbye before I leave, Mother."

Cora said nothing and Regina inhaled sharply before making her way over to the window. She sat on the wide ledge and looked over at her mother. Cora looked tired, her eyes almost dull as she stared blankly out the window. Regina knew it'd been hard for her the last couple of weeks, especially since Emma was still there, but there had been changes, albeit small ones and she would take every little change she could get from her closed-minded mother.

"How are you feeling today, dear?"

"Better enough to make the drive home."

"Hmm," Cora huffed. "Home. Storybrooke is now your home?"

"Mother, we've been over this," she frowned and she reached out for her mother's hands that were folded tightly in her lap. "My life is in Storybrooke now. No matter what has happened, nothing will change that."

"Your life is also with her and her son, isn't it?"

"Yes, Mother, it is."

Cora frowned and pulled her hands away from Regina. "I am trying, dear," she said softly. "I truly am trying to accept...this," she continued. "It is hard for me. Do you understand that?"

"I do," Regina nodded. "I love that you're trying, Mother. It's all I can ask of you."

"I almost lost you, Regina," Cora said shakily, her usual hard demeanor fading as her emotions got to the better of her. "I almost lost you."

"I'm right here."

"Must you leave?" Cora asked.

"Mother, I have to go home."

The past couple of weeks had changed her relationship with her mother and she was still uneasy about some of the changes that had happened. Her mother had shown a sense of vulnerability when it came to the incident that happened that day and yet there were other sides of her that reminded her that she was still the very same woman she had always been. Regina pushed off the edge of the windowsill and dipped her head down to place a light kiss to her mother's forehead with a soft sigh.

"I will call when we're home," she whispered. "Did you want to say goodbye to—"

"Henry came to say goodbye a short while ago," Cora said, the softness and the vulnerable side of her gone in the clipped tone in her voice. "As did she."

Regina pressed her lips together and offered her mother a tight smile. She reached out to gently squeeze her shoulder before she headed for the door. Neither said another word and Regina was perfectly fine with that. Now wasn't a good time to get into it with her mother over the choices she had made or over her relationship with Emma Swan.

She descended down the stairs carefully, taking each step slowly, one step at a time. By the time she reached the front door, she could hear the sound of Henry's laughter coming in from outside and with a smile, she pulled her aviators out of the front pocket of her jacket and slipped them on before stepping outside into the unseasonably warm morning light. The sight of Henry sitting on the hood of her Mustang while her father told his usual lame jokes that made Henry laugh was a sight that warmed her heart. Just to the back of the Mustang, Emma stood talking quietly with Zelena and the two were laughing as they hugged each other tight.

Regina just smiled as she walked over to Emma and gently took her hand in her own, simply not caring if anyone that passed by on the street saw the small yet intimate gesture. Zelena just glanced down at their joined hands before gently giving Regina a hug.