Running From Lies

Prologue 

I walk to school still in shock from yesterday. Although I never want to relive it again, my brain plunges me into a vivid memory of the night before.

                                                                                  * * *

            “Honey, there is a letter for you.” My mom never calls me ‘honey’ unless she is preparing me for bad news.

            “Who’s it from?” I dare to ask.

            “It’s from The Counsel, honey. I’ve already read it and…. Uh… you may want to sit down.”

The Counsel controls the community where I live, Corsent, as well as many other communities. A letter from The Counsel is either exceptionally good news or downright bad news. By the look on my mother’s face, I can tell this is not good.

I hate the feeling my heart gives when it drops into my empty stomach. Pushing past my mom, I seize the letter from her grasp and tear it open. I may not want to read it, but the fear of not knowing will rip me to shreds if I don’t.

To The Patterson Family,

We regret to inform you that Quinn Granger has gone missing as of 12:32 am this morning. We have sent out search committees on her behalf and will inform you of any further notice. All is under control , so do not consider inspecting this case under any circumstance. Thank you for your understanding.

                    ~On behalf of

                                The Counsel  

Quinn. My friend. She means everything to me. How could this happen? My heart might as well burst right here and now. We are like sisters! Just the other day we were laughing about my History teacher. She knows all of my secrets and I know hers. But do I really? Was she keeping something from me? Why did she go missing?

I want to scream and so I do. I scream in the middle of the kitchen until it hurts and I can’t stand and I can’t see through the tears. I have just lost my best friend and may never see her again.

                                                                                  * * *

 Suddenly I don’t feel safe walking to school. I feel as if every vehicle contains a kidnapper and I am not fast enough to outrun anything that may have been responsible for Quinn’s disappearance.