‘Umm, let me think’ she said, dipping her head and averting her eyes.

‘I’ve got it! How about pizza? Oh and pasta. I love pasta. And maybe some garlic bread. And later minestrone soup?’ she asked and he threw his head back and laughed. He laughed until his stomach hurt and until his face hurt and he couldn’t breathe. And only then did he calm down.

Whistling under his breath he muttered, ‘My girl likes to eat. Babe, you want Italian, I’ll get you Italian’ he kissed her cheek.

‘Oh gosh, I’m so sorry! I forgot to ask, what do you want, honey?’ His lungs seized up again and he forgot to breathe. For different reasons this time.

Kissing the tip of her ear he whispered intimately, ‘Say that again’. Instantly knowing what he was asking, she said, ‘Honey’. He groaned aloud, deep and low and totally animalistic. Yeah, he wanted her in his bed right now. Right. Fuc*ing. Now.

‘Come to think about it. I am pretty hungry. Though food’s not gonna affect this kind of hunger’

She blushed and laughed nervously, drawing patterns on his arm.

Half an hour later, they sat at the table dining italiano style. Zayn had guessed right. Ariella had a big appetite, almost rivalling his own, but she didn’t show it. Her form was slender and elegant.

At times during the meal, they took turns feeding each other. Nothing like the spaghetti sharing romantic Disney’s Lady and The Tramp, but close enough. As they ate their meal in comfortable silence, talking occasionally, sometimes Zayn would reach over and pour his drink into Ariella’s mouth or a slice of pizza. And she would return the favour, stretching over and feeding him a bite of her garlic bread.

It was the ultimate sign of compassion and care. Of nurturing and loving and the true essence of them. Time stilled and nothing else existed but the pair of them, dining casually and yet so meaningfully. They shared secret glances that spoke of fantasies and dreams and stolen kisses tasting of pesto sauce. In that cherished, sublime moment, it was only Zayn and Ariella. And the small fragile embers of the beginning of love.

                                                                        *

I didn’t know how long I could keep this up. My heart was panging every time my eyes met his. He was so beautiful sometimes I forgot myself. I could stare at him all day and never grow tired. We had just finished our lunch, and a very heavy one at that. I was so full and content, I could fall asleep.

‘Movie time’ I declare, hoping it would take my mind off of the impending doom.

‘Go for it. Take your pick, all the dvds are in that cupboard over there’ he pointed to a cupboard near his flat screen TV.

‘Cool’ I said and walked over on unsteady feet. I would have made more progress rolling there, that was how full I was.

I shuffled through his movies and found mainly action and comedies. There were some nicer movies that I was into. I scanned for a Disney classic, but came up short. Out of the corner of my eye, I caught sight of…could it be? Yes! Pocahontas, you life saver! I loved this movie and would have to take exception to Zayn’s “no-princess-policy”.

‘Found one’ I call back to Zayn who was reclining on his sofa.

‘Stick it in’ he said, his head nodding towards the TV.

Entering the disk I was bristling with excitement.

‘What have you chosen?’ he asked suspiciously.

‘Wait and see. Patience is a virtue, honey’ I reply. He nods his head in a silent, fair enough, but his lips tilt upwards.

I melt beside him and work on getting comfy. I rested my head on a pillow, lying horizontally curled up with my head on the armchair. Perfect. Zayn suddenly reaches out and grabs my legs, pulling from my ankles and stretching them over his thighs. I was now fully sprawled out on the sofa now. Now this was perfect. And was he? Aaah, I sigh blissfully. Rubbing my ankles. The cutie.

The opening title came on and the words Pocahontas shot onto the screen. Zayn groaned and threw his head back.

‘What? She’s an exception to your rule Zayn’

‘Babe. Pocahontas? Really?’

I huff annoyed that he could criticize such a great movie. ‘Yup. I like it’ I frowned letting him know I was upset by his comment.

His hands tightened on my ankles, still rubbing and his eyes softened. ‘It’s cool babe, we’ll watch it’. He said. ‘As long as next time, I pick.’

‘Fine’ I grumble, but I’m secretly pleased and shocked that I could influence with the slightest sign of distress. Interesting.

‘How come you have the movie?’ I ask, curious as to why he even had it to begin with.

‘Safaa came round and brought it with her’

‘Oh right’ Safaa was his little sister and though I hadn’t met her, I had heard good things. She sounded like a sweetie. And I won’t even be able to meet her. Stop that! I tell myself. The whole point of watching the movie was to take my mind off this whole scenario.

I snuggle down and switch my attention to the screen, getting lost in Pocahontas’s world.

 ...

91 minutes later, the movie had ended and I was in tears. I cried at films, sure, but never Pocahontas. Not until now. It hurt that I know knew the pain of losing someone. Of having to sacrifice for love. Because essentially love is sacrifice. And I was losing my John Smith. My Zayn Malik. The tears came harder, crushing me with their intensity.

Until a body wrapped around mine and blanketed me. Shoot, I remembered. Zayn was here and he just saw me bawling my eyes out at a Disney film. Oh no.  I tried desperately to kill the tears and stop sobbing, but they came harder. I needed this. Here in his arms I belonged. I was instantly furious at myself. Furious because I did nothing to prevent the outcome. Nothing to fight for my man. Today had opened my eyes and I would do anything. Anything for him. To keep him.

‘Babe, look at me’ he whispered gently, his hold loosening to allow me to turn up and see his face. It was shadowed with concern and worry.

‘What is it you’re not telling me, Ariella?’  he questioned.

Inhaling a shaky breath I say, ‘It’s nothing.’ 

‘Don’t you dare lie to me Ariella. Not when I can see you like this. What happened? Who. Did. This?’

‘No one I just…I-‘  I was torn. I could easily get out of this. Just lie and tell him I fell out with Lucy. Or tell him the truth with the glimmer of hope that we could work something out. I could be that girl who fights to keep her man.

As I pondered, he kissed away my tears. His tongue darted out and he licked the trail of tears from my eyes down my cheeks. I had made my decision and it was final.

‘Zayn,’ I began, my voice stronger with conviction. ‘There’s something I need to tell you.’