This is the story of Alice. But it is more than just that, this is a story about epic accomplishments and betrayal. It's a story about adventure and art. This is a story about finding out who you are. This is a story about high school.

It's 2:55, the school bell just rang and a redheaded, pale girl is walking to her locker. This is Alice. Today is 1 week until her birthday. Alice doesn't expect to get anything from her parents, right now they are in a lawsuit over their divorce. But even before that she didn't get presents. Her dad was an alcoholic and her mom would just blank out and stare at a wall for days at a time leaving Alice to be beaten by her dad. Alice was heading to her job at the Pancake Hut. She worked there from 3:00pm to 10:00pm and got paid very little, but if it was a good work day the manager would give her the leftover pancakes so she could have something to eat for dinner. After work, Alice fell asleep in her car and woke the next morning with an envelope on her dash.

It was a letter from the principal. The teachers at the school had heard about how she was doing and all pitched in to help. In the bottom of the envelope was $800. Alice started to cry she was so happy. People still cared for her.