Trois

It had been a week since Jared returned to Los Angeles from White Noise's gig in New York. A week since his night with Ondine. A week since he left her a voicemail. A week since he'd heard from her. At first he'd called her a few more times, but after no response from her, he thought she was just brushing him off. No woman had ever brushed him off before. Especially not after a one night stand. But the fact that he called her meant that it was more than that for him, even if he was in denial about it. Usually the women gave him their numbers, but he did not care to give any of them a call back. Except now.

He sat picking at the roasted potato wedges on his plate while eating dinner with his sister and her fiancé at the beach house he shared with his sister. Emily Jane and Aiden were engrossed in a conversation regarding their upcoming wedding when Aiden's cell phone rang.

"Excuse me," Aiden said to the others at the table and picked up the call. "Hello, this is Aiden. Who's this?"

"Brother, it's Ames," Ondine introduced herself to her brother.

"Ames?"

"Yeah, this is my new number."

"Why'd you get a new number?"

"Don't tell mom and dad, but I got robbed."

"What the hell?! When did that happen?!"

Aiden rose from the table and motioned that it was okay when Emily Jane got a panic stricken look on her face.

"Six days ago. It was some random snatcher. He got my phone and my purse."

"And you're only telling me this now?!"

"Calm down, Aiden. Sorry, I've just been busy with the police, canceling my credit cards and debit cards, moving to a new place because the thief has my ID, et cetera, et cetera. Getting a new phone was pretty low on my priority list," Ondine rattled off to her brother.

"Okay, okay, I get it. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine."

"Where do you live now?"

"At Shey's for the time being."

"Ames, are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm fine. It's New York. You're not a legit New Yorker if you haven't been robbed or had your purse snatched away," she laughed.

"Not funny, Ames."

"Okay, well, I was shook up, but there's nothing I can do about it now but move forward."

"Come home if you need to, okay? Even for the weekend or whatever. You're always welcome to crash at my place."

"I'll let you know what my plans are. A weekend away does sound inviting, though. Don't tell Mom and Dad, okay?" Ondine said quickly.

"Ames..."

"I'll tell them. I just don't want them to worry over nothing," Ondine assured her brother.

"Ames," he sighed.

"I promise."

"Okay. Take care of yourself. Buddy system. Learn karate, tae kwon do, krav maga...anything."

"Okay, brother. Love you."

"Love you, sis."

Aiden hung up the call and sat back down next to Emily Jane. She placed a hand on his knee as he sat down.

"Is Ames alright?" Emily Jane asked worriedly.

"She got robbed."

"Oh my gosh! That's terrible!" Emily Jane squeezed Aiden's knee.