21 - Truthful Conversations & Unforeseen Friends

I adjusted my shirt and walked into the office, pretending to know what I was doing. I could feel everyone's gaze on me. For the first time, it was not to see my flawless outfit or comment on who they had seen me with last night. Today I was the center of attention for something truly bad, something that bothered me.

I was not normally this self-conscious or worried, but since the 'Jennifer incident' –it was referred to like that now in the hallways and bathroom breaks- Virginia was even more on top of things and on my heels.

Any false move could get me out of this job and on the street, and I was not sure I was ready for that. Andrew had got me into wondering why I was so hung up on this job. I could sure find another great magazine to work for, especially with his connections. Even without his connections, I was sure this job was not the end of the road for me.

I was a strong, independent woman, though –or at least I bragged to be one, so I had to act like one. I was not sure how I would deal with this job and Virginia, nonetheless. George was placing his resignation today. He would work for two or three weeks more until his replacement was found and then I was on my own. Well, Ginny and Amelia were here, but I did not have the same history with them as I did with George. He was my rock, the closest friend I had ever had.

I tugged at the ends of my hair as I re-read the questions, I would be asking Alec Brown today. There was a knock on my door, and I pursed my lips when I saw Lewis standing in front of me.

"Well, come in," I sarcastically said. I was so done with him. I did not want to blame him because it was not fair to blame a single person for all this mess, but if he kept pushing me...

"Hey, love, I just wanted to check on you."

"Lewis, what are you doing here?" I had run out of patience for him.

He blinked repeatedly, confused. "I just told you, babe."

"I'm not your babe," I deadpanned.

"Why are you like this? Jennifer is gone." I abruptly stood up and closed the door. This was the least I needed. "Oh, you want privacy?" he inquired with a purr as he approached me.

I stuck out a hand, to keep him from getting closer. He was clearly delusional, but it had been my fault for getting involved with him in the first place. "Lewis, don't push my buttons or I swear I will punch you."

"I can never figure you out," he mused with humor as if this was some practical joke that I was playing on him.

"What is there to figure out? I was fooling around with you! I was never interested in anything serious. I thought it was the same for you. Now I have a boyfriend and I would like to be with him without any problems or drama," I hissed.

He frowned. "You're a bitch," he concluded after a moment.

I scoffed. "You can do better than that if you're trying to offend me." I was offended, but I would not let him win.

He grimaced. "Yeah, I could destroy you."

I rolled my eyes. "Why? Because I' not interested? Just leave me alone. I'm done trying to put this off nicely."

"I don't know when you became this bitter, but I do not like it."

I glared at him and banged the door open. "Get out."

He walked past me and harshly grabbed my arm. "Don't act like you don't deserve everything that is happening to you. You are a whore and it is finally catching up with you."