"Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. Ye of little faith. You will see my dear, you will see."

I couldn't figure out how he was going to pull it off, but I had no other choice but to put my faith in Mattie. I quickly checked my bank account. Three hundred and sixty eight dollars. And I still had to get through a week and a half before my next paycheck. Crap. Mattie better know what he's doing.

Although I suppose I could dip into my travel savings a little since mother has agreed to pay for the trip. Hmm. With a little miracle from Mattie, maybe this could work after all.

# # #

"You are going to look even more gorgeous than usual darling," Mattie said, rattling off an address I didn't know to the cab driver.

"I'm dying here Mattie. Where the heck are you taking me?"

"Don't be so anxious. It doesn't become you," he said.

"Thanks a lot."

"Oh, don't worry. I'm here for you as more than just a fashion advisor. I come complete with lessons on manners, how-to makeup tips, as well as with a full-fledged hair stylist."

"You have a full-fledged hairstylist at your disposal?"

"No." He looked at me like I was the world's largest moron, which given the situation, might be true. "I am a full-fledged stylist, and I am at your disposal."

"Um... okay. So then, why aren't you a stylist for a living?" I asked. I imagined that the money for a top stylist would be far superior to the junior copywriter business.

He waved his hand dismissively. "I just don't have the patience for it. I might have rolled my eyes one too many times at the wrong socialite or something," he said.

"Okay?" I said hoping he would elaborate, but apparently that would be the end of it.

"Oh my God, we're here," he squealed like a school girl. "You are so going to die when you walk in here. But you have to promise not to let anybody else in on this secret. If people knew, half the city would be in here in about a half a second."

All the secrecy only made my excitement grow, though I was a little concerned at the sketchiness of the neighborhood. In fact, I was a little surprised that Mattie would even venture into an area like this.

"It's a little scary here," I said, looking at him for a reassurance.

"I know. The first time I came here I nearly peed in my knickers, but I swear, even if one of us gets stabbed, it will totally be worth it."

"Oh yes, I'm sure," I said. Mattie had a bit of a flair for the dramatic.

I peeked my head out before I dared step out of the cab, and just as I was working up the courage, Mattie shoved me from behind.

"Hurry, we don't want to be stuck standing out here for too long." He threw some money at the cab driver and grabbed my hand, pulling me into the dingy entranceway.

But being inside did little to calm my nerves. "This place is really creepy."

"I know. But I am serious. It is worth it. You just gotta have faith."

I wanted to close my eyes and let Mattie drag me along, but I was scared I might fall or something, and the floor was certainly not the kind of floor you wanted to make contact with any bare skin. So I kept them half open, sort of squinting, mostly because I was scrunching my nose, and trying to imagine that this place wasn't as bad as it actually was.

Finally, at the end of the hall we reached a small, pink door. On it, brighter pink letters spelled out 'Designer Palace.'

"Well this is out of place," I said.