Chapter 11~ Amber

Začít od začátku

The next week at school I was all I heard about. I later figured out that Nathan said we did it, and he's the baby daddy. He also said he no longer wanted to be associated with me, of course. He got moved away from me in class, and I no longer wanted to look at him, anyway. He was mad at me too. Somehow this lie he spread made him gain some friends, as my life got harder.

People began to wonder why I wasn't getting fatter, and before I could tell them I was never pregnant, Nathan supplied them with another lie. He told them that I lost the baby. I could have killed him, I was so mad.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ed gets out of his car, and looks thoroughly confused. Before he could ask me anything, though, I say,"I don't want to talk about it."

He opens his mouth to say something, but shuts it again. Finally he says," Let's just pretend he was never here."

I was surprised to hear that, but I agreed. We continued to eat our snacks in silence. I finished my bag of chips, and looked to Ed. He held out a candy bar, and I took it. I nodded a thanks to him.

I looked at it. It's a Snicker's bar. "This is my favorite," I tell him.

Ed smiles at me. I want to explain something to Ed, but I can't. I just unwrap the candybar, and begin to eat.

We continue to sit in silence. I guess we are both pondering about what just happened.

Ed unexpectedly puts his arm around me, and I lean into him and finish my candy.

He says,"Don't worry about him. He was probably just trying to scare you."

I don't tell him that he's wrong about that. I just nod my head, and snuggle up to him.

Ed seems nervous about something, and I am too, but I don't know if we're nervous about the same thing.

He finally says,"Since you don't want to be seen out in the open as my girlfriend, we should probably not act so close around people."

His statement is a stab in the heart, but he's right. He is exactly right. I sit up, and scoot away from him. I hug my knees up to my chin.

Ed says,"No. That's not what I meant." He pulls me back to him with a smile.

I furrow my eyebrows in confusion. "Let's just lie down," he says.

I understand what he's saying now, I think. He's saying that we should lie down and put the tailgate up, so people can't see us. But for what, I wonder.

Ed scoots back, and I get some coats out of the truck to lay on. I pull the tailgate shut, and we lie there, side by side, staring into the sun.

Ed turns over and faces me, so I do the same. He pokes me in the face, and I smile. He shifts closer to me. "Don't worry," he whispers. For a second the world stops spinning, and I don't worry about anything. It's just him and I.

I scoot right next to him, and I know it's too hot outside for two people to be so close, but I like this warmth. Ed puts his arms around me and kisses the top of my head. I don't know how I let him get so close to me or my heart, but it's happened and I can't go back.

I throw my arms around him, and just hold on. We stare into each others blue eyes.

He leans in, and flicks up an eyebrow as if to ask, Is this alright?

I bite my lip and nod. We are so close. His face two inches from mine. He kisses my nose, and my cheek. Before going in for the final kiss, on my lips, he does that eyebrow question thing again. Aloud, I whisper,"Yes."