"We were expecting you yesterday."

Uncomfortable and unsure of how to proceed, she removed her coat and draped it over the newel post of the white banister. "Yes, well, winter hit southern Ontario yesterday, and I was stranded at Pearson. I would have called but I couldn't get through to Kim's hospital room after nine o'clock, because they stop all incoming calls. And I didn't have your number. I'm sorry if it inconvenienced you."

A blonde rocket zoomed into the room. "Uncle Jason, when can I have my cookies, huh?"

Jason bent and picked up the girl, laughing and touching a finger to her nose. "In a minute. Do you remember your Aunt Molly?"

The girl narrowed brown eyes at Molly, deep in thought. "You sent me Barbies for Christmas."

Molly laughed, charmed. "That's right. I hope you liked them."

"Yeah, but Bubbles chewed one's head off."

Molly looked at Jason, confused. "Bubbles?"

"Her dog." He ruffled Sara's hair, his voice and eyes softening. "You go on into the kitchen. We'll have a snack together, then you need to get your things, okay? You're going back to your own house today, muffin."

She took off as quickly as she had arrived, and they stared after her.

"She looks like a handful," Molly remarked, smiling after the tiny bombshell. A handful that was going to be in her charge for the next few weeks. Her smile faltered a little.

"She's energetic and smart, but she's a good kid," Jason defended sharply, and Molly got the feeling that despite the warning note in his tone, Jason wasn't too comfortable with their reunion either. He definitely didn't act happy to see her.

"I never meant to imply she wasn't," Molly retorted, avoiding his gaze. If only this headache would disappear. She sighed and pressed her fingers to her eyelids.

His voice took on a cool veneer of politeness. "Come on into the kitchen. You look ready to drop. I'll make you some coffee."

She followed him through the living room into the airy kitchen. Sara was already seated in a booster chair at the table, scribbling on paper with crayons. A black and white cat slept in a wicker bed next to the patio doors. While Molly put her purse on the counter, Jason took two chocolate chip cookies out of a blue jar shaped like a cat and poured milk into a sippy cup.

"Here you go, Sara." He put them in front of her, kissed the top of her head and went back to the coffee maker.

"You're very good with her," Molly commented quietly, standing a few feet away and leaning against the gray marble countertop.

"I've lived next door for two years now," he replied, measuring coffee into the filter. "I'm surprised Kim didn't mention it."

Molly's baby sister hadn't mentioned it because she knew that Molly refused to speak of Jason Elliot and their past relationship. Full stop.

"We don't talk about stuff like that much."

That, meaning them. His head came up and their gazes met again. They had to quit looking at each other that way, as if they wanted to forget but couldn't help but remember.

"More milk, please."

The sweet voice interrupted them, and Molly was thankful for the diversion. She'd stared at Jason far too long, and he at her. Dredging up the past would do no one any good. "I'll get it," she mumbled and went to the fridge.

Jason poured coffee. "Cream and sugar, right?" he asked, and she hated that he remembered.

"No, black," she answered. She hated it black, but she was going to be here for the better part of a month, and she had to keep things very cool between her and Jason. Dredging up past hurts wouldn't help a thing. The past was the past and it needed to stay that way—making it clear they'd both moved on.