The Balloon Seller

My fingers started to ache with the pressure of the flimsy bags pulling them down, But I carried on. I cannot stop, I thought, Mama must be waiting. So I walked on and took a turn to the marketplace near our home, That was the exact moment I felt my boot soles tear apart a bit, But I carried on, anyways. I can fix this with scotch tape at home, I thought.

I reached the vegetable shop at last, Even though my toes were bruised by the walking, I acted all happy and cheery. 'Salam, Sahib' I greeted the shopkeeper who passed me a disgusted look and stood up. 'Salam, Bachay. What can I do for you?' He asked in a sarcastic tone and passed his friend, an old man with an ugly beard, a wink. 'Um, A KG of potatoes, please' I said, trying my best to sound kind and normal. The shopkeeper picked up some faulty potatoes and started to weigh them. 'No, I want fresh ones. Not the bad ones' I said suddenly. He passed me a loathly look and picked up some fresh ones and weighed them. I knew the difference between good and bad, That's a long story I will explain later.

'If you can't pay, Then, I understand, Just ask your.....' He started off with venomous sarcasm but I cut him off 'Nay. I can pay. Why wouldn't I have money? I am no beggar! Here is your money' I put his 35 RPS on his table with a bang and picked my potatoes up 'Now, Listen, You feed on the Halal money of many such kids like me.'

And with that, I left. Left as a dignified Balloon seller, Left as a poor kid with a mother to look after.