chapter nine

• Dedicated to That Boy

I felt cut off from the rest of the world, which was exactly how I wanted to feel. I just wanted to escape reality for a few carefree minutes. I wanted a different life, a life where the princess marries the prince and everyone lives happily ever after. That’s why I was reading; to slip into someone else’s life and get lost in the complicated plot.

      I was momentarily distracted by Elsa. She was on stage practising her solo for the concert. Elsa was well known for being a beautiful singer, and whenever I heard her sing I had to stop to listen. I concentrated on the words of the song. Every verse felt like a stab in the heart, and I could feel hot tears stinging my eyes.

“Tell me is love,

Still a popular suggestion,

Or merely an obsolete art?

Forgive me for asking,

This simple question,

I'm unfamiliar with this part,

I am a stranger here myself.

Why is it wrong,

To murmur, ‘I adore him!’

When it's shamefully obvious I do,

Does love embarrass him?

Or does it bore him?

I'm only waiting for my clue,

I'm a stranger here myself.”

I looked back down at my book and tried to read the meaningless words on the page. I couldn’t listen to the rest of the song; it hurt too much to hear how I felt. When Elsa finished I was almost happy. I could feel Katy’s eyes on my back. Now that the song was over I felt raw and exposed, like the words from the verses were hovering over my head. Now everyone had heard how I felt.

      That’s when the heavy doors opened noisily and a group of boys entered the hall. I let my hair fall across my face, ashamed of my own existence. I heard footsteps and I knew the boys were moving towards their seats. I peeked through my curtain of hair and instantly spotted Aaron. He was laughing with the others, but he looked distracted too. His brown hair was wet from the rain outside.

      “I thought you were supposed to tell me when he arrived,” I hissed quietly to Ruby, who shrugged and carried on chewing. I tried to continue reading. I read the line six or seven times before realising I had no idea what it actually said.

      Suddenly, a crumpled piece of paper landed on my page. I uncurled it, even though I knew what it said.

Will you go out with me? Jennifer x

In fury, I scrunched it up again and turned to throw it back to Aaron.. It hit him on the head.

      “Nice throw,” chuckled Ruby.

      I rolled my eyes and twisted back to face the stage. “Thanks. I just hope it hurt.”

      My eyes fluttered back to my book. I read the line again, this time absorbing the first few words, before I felt something hit me on the back of my head. Ruby bent down and picked up the crumpled paper. Irritated, I took a pen out of my bag and scribbled furiously before throwing it back again.

Go away, I’m trying to read.

I pretended to read, pausing the plot of my book. There was no way I could carry on reading now, not while the plot of my own story was becoming so dramatic. Instead, I scanned the page, searching through the words for anything that stood out.

      To my surprise, the note came back.

No I like my seat. What are you reading? Is it good?