Road Trip

Written by ?

Louis exited the old style gas station and walked in between the old style gas pumps and towards his old style pickup truck. He opened the passenger side door and climbed in, using the handle on the dash to hoist himself up. Damn height insufficiency. Always to damn short for everything.

            Louis was not in a very happy mood. He was tired, cranky, and unfortunately for him, on the verge of car sickness. That’s why he made Harry pull up to this piece of crap gas station. He needed fresh air. And not just the unsatisfying, way too powerful, gust that blew directly at his face through the window as Harry drove at his ungodly speeds. But even after visiting the equally piece of crap bathroom facilities the gas station offered, Louis was not up to par to happily resume their adventure.

            Also, Harry was taking an awful long time to pick out his snacks. Louis threw his plastic bag of goodies in the back seat of the truck and leaned back in his seat to wait for Harry. He put his feet up on the dash and adjusted the seat so it leaned back a little ways. This definitely helped the comfort level, and even helped his stomach settle a little. But he was still uneasy.

            Finally, Harry walked out of the gas station with his plastic bag that probably consisted of, at most, four items. Four items. He spent 20 minutes picking out four items. Oh well, he’s back now and they can head on to their next destination.

            Harry opened the driver’s door and climbed up. Barely having to hoist himself. Damn height insufficiency. “How do you feel?” Harry asks soothingly, making Louis even more irritated, for some reason.

            Don’t get him wrong, though. He loved Harry. Loved everything about the boy. Just not when Louis felt like shit and Harry had to take care of him. Maybe it was mostly Louis hating himself for making Harry take care of him. But Louis just doesn’t find any comfort in Harry having to treat him like a child.

            “Like shit.” Louis replied blatantly.

            “Do you want to drive?” Harry suggested. “It might help with your stomach.”

            “Nah, that’s alright. I’ll just lean the chair back and open the window a bit.” Louis sufficed.

            “Alright, if you’re sure.”

            “Yeah, I’m sure.”

            Harry nods and starts the engine. Harry is well aware that Louis doesn’t like being treated like a child, so he doesn’t take it personally when he starts to get snippy. But for some reason, he never drops the fawning act.

            Louis leans his chair back and rolls the window down a bit, and it helps a lot. The horizontal position and the air blowing above him, for whatever reason, makes him feel better. He closes his eyes, not necessarily because he’s tired, but to just shield his eyes from the moving objects outside the window.

            “Don’t fall asleep, love. We’re almost there.” Harry says, and Louis can hear the smile on his face. This whole trip has been full of surprises, and ‘don’t peak’s.