Chapter 1

"Bye Mom" I shouted while running out the door

"Love you Aria!" I could hear her yell from upstairs.

I ran over to the forest and took off my clothes. After, I quickly threw my backpack on the ground, shifted, and picked it up in my mouth. I dashed through the forest quickly and switched back. Putting on my sweatshirt and leggings, I almost tripped over a small stick but regained my balance. I swung my bag over my shoulder, and fast walked towards the building. The annoying raddle of a bell met my ears and my heart quickened. "Shit" I cursed under my breath and quickened my pace into a human jog. Because there were humans everywhere that I live I couldn't go into my actual speed that was probably five times the speed of a regular person. There were only about three wolves that live in this packless territory and they of were siblings that went to my school so naturally we were all drawn to each other.

As I reached the school, I spotted Naomi, who was one of the two wolves, tapping her foot and glancing between the woods and the doors. As soon as she saw me, I received a certain finger and a nasty glare. "About time Aria" She scolded as she grabbed my arm and tugged me through the door. We headed to World History class and made it inside just as the final bell rung. The teacher went on with his lesson and I decided to lazily fling a small crumpled up piece of paper at the back of Naomi. I heard her growl quietly and her voice entered my head, You better stop godammit. The rest of class went by quick as I made a peace treaty with Naomi. The bell rattled and both us groaned, clutching our ears.

I hurried to class and quickly weaved around everyone before I reached the door. My small frame had always made it easy to do things, don't get me wrong. It is always annoying when you have to reach a high shelf, but my shortness made things easier for me.I took a seat at my desk and tapped on it with the end of my pencil. Mr. Peinado was the teacher of this period but there was a substitute today. An unusually happy one. "Good Morning Class!" The substitute said in a friendly tone. Everyone muffled a good morning back and she started the lesson happily.

I tried to follow along with her, taking notes, and raising my hand occasionally. I would say that I was pretty smart. Not like Einstein smart, but smart. I looked at the clock and started to pack up for the next period. It was only period 3 so I would have to go through many more. I clutched a folder in my hand with my backpack over my shoulders and waited for the bell anxiously. My next class had Ryan in it. Ryan was my only other friend at his school, he liked to think of himself as Alpha of our little group.

The bell rang and I took off. Getting a good seat in Biology was always challenging so I always made sure I was first out of class so I could get a good seat in the front row, that is if I was lucky. I raced through the halls taking shortcuts and easy turns. I side shuffled around a large group of people and made an abrupt stop at room 311. When I walked inside I only saw two front row seats left so I quickly snatched one. I got my binder out, and a few minutes later the class started and Ms. Aikins started teaching with her loud creepy voice that sounded like a witch had possessed her.

It took no effort to take notes because Ms. Aikins was literally as slow as a snail. Halfway through class Ryan stormed into the class and sat down. Of course, next to me in the conveniently empty seat. "Mr. Ashford," her gaze landed next to me "late again?" She glared as she took out a folder before checking off his name with a big red pen. She was one of the many teachers at this school who were really cranky every day. His feet rested on my part of the desk and calmly shoved them off earning a small chuckle from him. For me, the rest of the class was filled with pieces of crumbled paper being thrown at my head which was incredibly annoying. I suddenly felt bad for Naomi who I had been tormenting the same way.

The bell rang and before I knew it, I was heading home.
---

I hurried up the stairs to my house and started doing homework as well as studying for a test that was coming up. I hummed a song in my head to myself and took notes on a passage from a history textbook. I admired my neat and organized notes and re-read them over and over in my head. Once I was satisfied, I quietly tiptoed outside to the backyard to look at the stars. I could make out a few constellations but they were so intriguing. I stared for a while. I searched through the night, trying to figure out its secrets. In the distance, I could hear some wolves from a nearby pack howling which brought my thoughts to the dangers of being outdoors. As if reading my thoughts, another howl filled the silence outside.

I left to go inside and I lay in my bed with my thoughts racing. One thought caught my mind the most though before I decided to go to sleep. Those howls seemed awfully close.