Science Class

"Alright, class take your seats."  Mr. Harvey said.  I sat down and got out my notebook to take notes.  "You need to flip to page 432 in your textbooks, and take notes from pages 433 to 456.  I'll hand you a worksheet after you're done.  You will be partnered up with the person next to you."  He slumped down into his chair and started reading the newspaper.  I looked to my left and found an empty seat, Marcel's seat.  I looked around the classroom but he wasn't here. 

     As if on cue, the door opened and in came an embarassed looking Marcel.  "Oop.  Hi."  He said.  Mr. Harvey didn't look up from his newspaper, but he knew it was Marcel that came in.  "Marcel, take your seat, please."  He made his way over to me and sat down.  "It's a partner assignment."  I said to him.  "Flip to page 432.  We're taking notes." 

     He gave me a grateful look.  "Thank you."

     "Yeah."  I went back to taking notes.  "Oh, I just love science!  Don't you?"  Marcel said. 

     "Sure...it's...great......."

     He grinned wide and flipped open his notebook.  We discussed how light traveled, and I wasn't as bored as I thought I would be.  Marcel was actually pretty interesting.  Turns out he knew the subject pretty well, and we were done with the worksheet like nobody's business. 

     "So..."  I said.

     "Do you want to come over to my house after school to work on the volcano project?"  He asked.  I looked at him.  His voice had sounded different when he said it, deeper and clearer.  I blinked.  "Um, yeah...sure." A moment passed and I found myself still looking at him.  I looked away as soon as I realized it.  He's a nerd, I thought to myself, No way his voice could change so fast, I'm imagining things.

     But after thinking about it, I realized I was wrong.

     I wasn't imagining anything. 

     Then something occured to me.

     I recognized that voice.

     But I couldn't put my finger on it.