Chapter Thirty | No Use In Crying

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, that's no excuse to completely ignore our calls and texts. We know something happened on your birthday," Carly said, crossing her arms over her chest.

"What? No, I'm fine," I said, trying to play off her words casually.

"Bullshit," Lauren said, annoyance clear in her expression. "Trent's been just as mopey since we got back, so I know whatever it is has to do with him."

"Why don't you ask him, then?" I asked, closing my eyes at the mention of her brother.

"He won't tell me anything, which isn't really surprising. You, however, are going to explain it all. Now."

I sighed in defeat, taking a deep breath. I only hoped I could get through it without crying again. "Fine. Just...sit down, all of you."

..

It took about fifteen minutes to catch them up on everything, from the morning of my birthday to me getting ungrounded right before they showed up.

"I'm gonna fucking kill him," Carly announced, a storm brewing in her eyes.

Lauren sighed. "Yeah, me too."

I brought my knees closer to my chest, hugging them. "I just wish none of it ever happened. I wish I wouldn't have even talked to him after our project finished. I feel so stupid."

Lily leaned closer from where she sat on my left, her blue eyes pooling with sympathy. Carly shook her head at my words. "You're not stupid, Drey." Turning to Lauren, she asked, "You're his sister. Can you think of any reason as to why he would do this? Other than being an idiot, of course."

Lauren blew out a breath, running her hand through her dark hair. "I mean, Trent's got issues with commitment. I know why, but it's not really my place to tell." She uncrossed her legs from where she was sitting across from me, shifting her body closer. "I'll talk to him, though. Tell him he's making a huge mistake."

"No," I shook my head immediately. "What's done is done. I don't want you to talk to him."

She bit her lip. "Are you sure? Anyone could tell what he felt for you was real."

Irritation flared within me, a wonderful alternative to the pain and embarrassment I was growing familiar with. "Well, then he shouldn't have screwed it up," I snapped.

It was silent as Lauren let out a disappointed sigh, flopping back onto my mattress. "Sorry," I murmured. "I'm just trying the best I can to move on."

"I know," Lauren said with a small smile, her hand moving to brush over mine reassuringly.

"Speaking of moving on...how would you feel about coming out with us to celebrate New Years?" Carly sounded eager as she asked, clasping her hands together while she waited for my answer.

"Where?" I asked with narrowed eyes.

Carly looked sheepish, her eyes quickly traveling over our friends before they came back to me. "Will's having a party-hey, no, hear me out!" She stopped when I gave her a frown.

"Are you serious? I think I've had enough parties for a while."

Lauren sat up, her expression becoming just as pleading as Carly's. "Please, Audrey? We miss you! And it's New Year's Eve, come on!"

I paused, actually considering it before I remembered something. I shook my head. "Sorry, can't, I'm supposed to go out to dinner with my parents tonight."

Carly's expression turned flat. "Really?"

I shrugged. "Yep."

There was a light knock on my door. We all looked up to see my mom stick her head in. "Actually, honey, we think it'd be great for you to go out with your friends. Max isn't feeling well, anyway."

"Mom! You were listening to our conversation?" I asked with a glare.

"No! Well, only the last little bit...I was already coming up to tell you dinner was cancelled."

I groaned when this caused my friends, all three of them, to grin in victory. My mom shook her head, an apologetic smile gracing her lips as she disappeared back into the hall.

My stomach churned. "Guys, don't make me go. I...I can't face him yet."

Lauren gave a patient look. "I promise I'll keep him away from you...if he even shows, that is."

I frowned. "What does that mean?"

She sighed. "I was serious when I said he's been mopey. He's barely left the house since we got back from the trip, he's already skipped out on like 4 parties."

I rolled my eyes, bitterness taking over my tone. "I'm sure all the girls just don't know what to do with themselves when he isn't around."

"Sure they do," Carly grinned. "That's when Jake gets his time to shine."

I laughed; a true, genuine laugh that bloomed throughout my stomach and made me feel 10 times better.

"So, what do you say?" Lauren asked once our laughs faded.

"You guys'll really make sure he stays away?" I asked hesitantly.

They all nodded eagerly. "Of course," Carly reassured me, squeezing my arm. "Don't think I'm afraid of putting that idiot in his place, because I'm not."

I laughed again, nodding against my better judgement. "Okay...I'm in."

_______________________________

Okaaay...

After 3 short ones in a row, I know I owe you guys a long ass chapter. The next chapter we'll be getting back to the good stuff, and I promise it will be nice and lengthy ;)
Remember to vote & comment if ya liked it
Oh, and happy Easter! It's 11:59 PM, that still counts...right??