Chapter Eighteen | You Win Again

Eighteen:

"Yeah, hi, can I get eight cheeseburgers?"

Lauren's words made me look up in alarm from where I'd been leaning against the window, drifting in and out of sleep. I hadn't even noticed we were now in the McDonald's drive through.

"Oh, no I'm not done! Can I also get four large fries and four large Dr. Peppers?" Lauren was straining to make sure her voice was heard, half her body hanging out the window as she leaned towards the ordering window.

I laughed silently as she ordered way too much food. We'd only been driving for about an hour, we had three more to go, and she was already hungry.

"Eight burgers?" I asked with a laugh.

Her narrowed eyes met mine through the rear-view mirror. "You know how I get, Audrey. Plus, I just thought these very hungover boys might need a little extra food!"

"My apologies," I giggled.

As the car started moving to stop at the next window, Trent sat up. Yawning and looking around, he yanked out his earbuds and tossed his phone aside.

I avoided his gaze and tried to stretch out my aching legs. We'd both been asleep for the past hour so there was no problem; but now, we were both awake and the tension was still there, strong as ever.

Leaning forward in-between the two front seats, I saw Tyler was still out cold, his neck turned in an uncomfortable looking position as he slumped against the window.

Lauren reached out her arm and gave him an unceremonious shove, causing him to jolt awake. "Help me with our food, sleeping beauty."

He grumbled a little under his breath, but still perked up at the mention of food.

Lauren retrieved two large paper bags full of food, immediately shoving them into Tyler's lap.

"Don't be greedy now," I quipped jokingly as he peered in the bag and I eagerly awaited my food.

"Drinks," Lauren said, extending her arm without looking to hand back a soda.

I reached to take it from her at the same time Trent did, causing our hands to touch. I drew my hand back, glancing over at him. He looked at me with a smirk, gesturing for me to take the drink.

I pursed my lips, snatching the large, plastic cup from Lauren's outstretched hand and looking away.

As soon as her hand was free, Lauren peeled out of the parking lot, obviously eager to be back on the road.

Stabbing my straw through the lid of my cup, I took a sip. Smiling after swallowing the carbonated liquid, I teased Lauren, "Of course you got us all Dr. Peppers."

Lauren laughed indignantly as she changed lanes and merged onto the freeway. "It's only the best soda in the world!"

"That's debatable," Trent chimed in with a small chuckle.

Lauren snickered, "That's only because you're a freak who loves orange soda."

"Well," I started, staring at Trent with a sudden burst of confidence, "I, for one, much prefer Cherry Coke." I drew out the name, some of my anger from earlier coming out as Trent met my gaze head-on.

"I can accept that," Lauren chirped, oblivious to the stare-off happening in the backseat.

Trent rolled his eyes, breaking our locked gaze and hitting the back of Tyler's seat. "Yo, Ty, give us our fucking food."

"Fuck you, man," Tyler grumbled half-heartedly, reaching into the bag anyway and tossing us two paper-wrapped burgers.

"What about those fries?" I asked, eyeing the bag full of them Tyler still held.